Re: [Scouter_T] Re: National Meeting/Bill, Neil

  • Don Wilson
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
      Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
      had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
      50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
      gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
      was not prepared.

      We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
      meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
      "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
      that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
      than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
      High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
      the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
      Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
      and "brainstormed" those solutions.

      I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
      from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
      meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
      that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
      impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
      to see it.

      I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
      the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
      and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
      Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
      serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
      higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
      recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
      stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

      Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
      pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
      else to do with it.

      One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
      Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
      running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
      the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
      guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
      the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
      and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
      demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
      presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
      occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

      Yours in Service,

      Don Wilson
    • Natalie Bozier
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
        What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
        information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
        problem with a concerned scouter attending?

        Natalie

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
        >

        > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
        > >

        > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
        Meeting.

        > Best wishes,
        >
        > Neil Lupton

      • bill smith
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
          Someone in your council does have the information.
          Depending on size National mails packets to
          several professionals and volunteers. Our council
          in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
          source of information might be the Scout
          Executive's secretary.

          One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
          to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
          years there has been a bit of picketing so security
          has picked up.

          It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
          only let us drones in.

          bill smith

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
            I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
            The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
            There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
            improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
            Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
            on Thursday and two more on Friday.
            However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
            the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
            of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
            do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
            choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
            It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
            the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

            --

            bill smith
            The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
              Where or is there a link for this conference?

              Scott Truax

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                >
                > Scott Truax

                Go to the National Web Site.
                Log into MyScouting.
                Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                Choose National Annual Meeting.
                A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                Scoll to the last page.
                Click on Register Now.
                It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                Jamie