Re: [Scouter_T] National Meeting

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
      In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

      > How does one get information on the National Meeting

      Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Don Wilson
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
        Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
        had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
        50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
        gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
        was not prepared.

        We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
        meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
        "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
        that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
        than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
        High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
        the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
        Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
        and "brainstormed" those solutions.

        I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
        from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
        meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
        that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
        impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
        to see it.

        I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
        the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
        and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
        Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
        serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
        higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
        recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
        stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

        Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
        pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
        else to do with it.

        One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
        Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
        running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
        the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
        guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
        the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
        and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
        demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
        presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
        occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

        Yours in Service,

        Don Wilson
      • Natalie Bozier
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
          What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
          information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
          problem with a concerned scouter attending?

          Natalie

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
          >

          > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
          > >

          > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
          Meeting.

          > Best wishes,
          >
          > Neil Lupton

        • bill smith
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
            Someone in your council does have the information.
            Depending on size National mails packets to
            several professionals and volunteers. Our council
            in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
            source of information might be the Scout
            Executive's secretary.

            One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
            to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
            years there has been a bit of picketing so security
            has picked up.

            It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
            only let us drones in.

            bill smith

            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
              I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
              The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
              There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
              improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
              Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
              on Thursday and two more on Friday.
              However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
              the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
              of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
              do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
              choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
              It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
              the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

              --

              bill smith
              The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                Where or is there a link for this conference?

                Scott Truax

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                  > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                  >
                  > Scott Truax

                  Go to the National Web Site.
                  Log into MyScouting.
                  Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                  The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                  Choose National Annual Meeting.
                  A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                  Scoll to the last page.
                  Click on Register Now.
                  It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                  Jamie