Re: [Scouter_T] Re: National Meeting

  • bill smith
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
      Kevin,
      that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
      provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

      Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
      with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

      bill

    • NeilLup@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
        In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

        > How does one get information on the National Meeting

        Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

        Best wishes,

        Neil Lupton

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
          Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
          had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
          50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
          gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
          was not prepared.

          We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
          meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
          "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
          that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
          than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
          High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
          the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
          Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
          and "brainstormed" those solutions.

          I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
          from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
          meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
          that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
          impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
          to see it.

          I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
          the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
          and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
          Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
          serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
          higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
          recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
          stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

          Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
          pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
          else to do with it.

          One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
          Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
          running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
          the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
          guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
          the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
          and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
          demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
          presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
          occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

          Yours in Service,

          Don Wilson
        • Natalie Bozier
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
            What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
            information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
            problem with a concerned scouter attending?

            Natalie

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

            > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
            >

            > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
            > >

            > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
            Meeting.

            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Neil Lupton

          • bill smith
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
              Someone in your council does have the information.
              Depending on size National mails packets to
              several professionals and volunteers. Our council
              in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
              source of information might be the Scout
              Executive's secretary.

              One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
              to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
              years there has been a bit of picketing so security
              has picked up.

              It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
              only let us drones in.

              bill smith

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                --

                bill smith
                The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                  Where or is there a link for this conference?

                  Scott Truax

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                    > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                    >
                    > Scott Truax

                    Go to the National Web Site.
                    Log into MyScouting.
                    Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                    The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                    Choose National Annual Meeting.
                    A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                    Scoll to the last page.
                    Click on Register Now.
                    It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                    Jamie