Re: [Scouter_T] National Meeting

  • ed5870@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
      How does one get information on the National Meeting

    • Gerry Moon
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
        Are y'all talking about "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders"?
        If so, it's bin item 13-33640 from 2005 and I've had it well over a
        year. Or are you refencing something that has has gone thru either a
        revision or a whole new iteration? OWL predates my "old" syllabus
        which is "WOLT" - Webelos Outdoor Leader Training - and, IMHO, WOLT is
        a better course than OLSWL. OLSWL works, however - I just taught it
        about a month ago and everything went quite OK.

        Gerry Moon
        Orlando, FL

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:

        > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus at
        the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend? Can this be
        confirmed?

        > Ida

      • bill smith
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
          Kevin,
          that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
          provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

          Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
          with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

          bill

        • NeilLup@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
            In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

            > How does one get information on the National Meeting

            Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

            Best wishes,

            Neil Lupton

          • Don Wilson
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
              Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
              had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
              50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
              gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
              was not prepared.

              We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
              meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
              "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
              that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
              than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
              High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
              the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
              Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
              and "brainstormed" those solutions.

              I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
              from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
              meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
              that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
              impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
              to see it.

              I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
              the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
              and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
              Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
              serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
              higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
              recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
              stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

              Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
              pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
              else to do with it.

              One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
              Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
              running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
              the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
              guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
              the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
              and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
              demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
              presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
              occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

              Yours in Service,

              Don Wilson
            • Natalie Bozier
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
                information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
                problem with a concerned scouter attending?

                Natalie

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
                >

                > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
                > >

                > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
                Meeting.

                > Best wishes,
                >
                > Neil Lupton

              • bill smith
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
                  Someone in your council does have the information.
                  Depending on size National mails packets to
                  several professionals and volunteers. Our council
                  in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
                  source of information might be the Scout
                  Executive's secretary.

                  One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
                  to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
                  years there has been a bit of picketing so security
                  has picked up.

                  It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
                  only let us drones in.

                  bill smith

                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                    I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                    The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                    There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                    improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                    Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                    on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                    However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                    the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                    of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                    do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                    choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                    It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                    the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                    --

                    bill smith
                    The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                      Where or is there a link for this conference?

                      Scott Truax

                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                        > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                        >
                        > Scott Truax

                        Go to the National Web Site.
                        Log into MyScouting.
                        Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                        The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                        Choose National Annual Meeting.
                        A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                        Scoll to the last page.
                        Click on Register Now.
                        It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                        Jamie