Re: National Meeting

  • Kevin Pate
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 3, 2007
      > I intend to go to the National Meeting of the BSA

      Alas, being there is not in my plans.

      Not expecting to see it in 07, or even 08, but it sure
      could be interesting, as an expansion of the digital
      headway BSA seems to be making, if annual meeting
      presentations were to be captured, burned to DVD and
      distributed out to councils.

      Kevin in Norman, America
      who more than kinda sorta wishes he could get
      back to Atlanta for a visit, annual meeting or
      no.

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
        How does one get information on the National Meeting

      • Gerry Moon
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
          Are y'all talking about "Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders"?
          If so, it's bin item 13-33640 from 2005 and I've had it well over a
          year. Or are you refencing something that has has gone thru either a
          revision or a whole new iteration? OWL predates my "old" syllabus
          which is "WOLT" - Webelos Outdoor Leader Training - and, IMHO, WOLT is
          a better course than OLSWL. OLSWL works, however - I just taught it
          about a month ago and everything went quite OK.

          Gerry Moon
          Orlando, FL

          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@...> wrote:

          > I heard that Bill Steele held up a copy of the new OWL syllubus at
          the National meeting. Did anyone on this list attend? Can this be
          confirmed?

          > Ida

        • bill smith
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
            Kevin,
            that would be very helpful, but since they don't even
            provide printed proceedings I wouldn't be that hopeful.

            Right now I'm hoping to urge them to provide den leaders
            with a DVD of a typical den meeting.

            bill

          • NeilLup@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
              In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:

              > How does one get information on the National Meeting

              Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National Meeting.

              Best wishes,

              Neil Lupton

            • Don Wilson
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 4, 2007
                Be sure of what you are expecting at the National Council meeting. I
                had the pleasure of attending the 1997 meeting in Orlando as one of
                50 Scoutmasters from all regions. I am told that there is a
                gathering of that sort every four years or so. I will admit that I
                was not prepared.

                We were provided with a list of topics that would be discussed at the
                meeting. The Scoutmasters were meetings for a good part of each day,
                "brainstorming" the topics. It did not take long for me to recognize
                that the manner of presentation of the topics required more approval
                than brainstorming. "How do we keep order Scouts in the program?"
                High adventure program, better uniforms, girls. Anyone remember when
                the standard uniform was "updated" and when Venturing was introduced?
                Those programs were "in the can" well before those Scoutmsters met
                and "brainstormed" those solutions.

                I was very impressed at all the displays from every division, some
                from other countries. I was also impressed with the "breakfast"
                meeting that included an astronaut and some of the folks from Irving
                that seemed to have been Scoutmasters in the distant past. I was
                impressed with the "show" at the banquet, even if I needed binoculars
                to see it.

                I was most surprised to see only a very few few uniforms. Actually,
                the only uniformed leaders I saw were the leaders of the host council
                and the Scoutmasters there for the meeting. Everyone else was in the
                Scouter Dress Uniform. Remember that the National Council meeting
                serves the same function as your local Council banquet, just on a
                higher scale, and a lot more expensive. Yes, outstanding Scouts were
                recognized, and the Silver Buffalo is awarded. Great opening, show
                stopper closing, speeches in the middle.

                Would I go again? Sure, would love it. Would I dip deep into my
                pocket to do it? Only if I had a fairly large chunk with nothing
                else to do with it.

                One experience has stayed with me for 10 years. Between sessions on
                Friday, I was going up a flight of stairs and a young Scout came
                running up from behind and said "Sir, where is your crooked stick?"
                the scout was a member of a unit from Orlando who were serving as
                guides during the meeting. He had spent a week at Camp Raven Knob
                the summer earlier and recalled me walking with that crooked stick
                and tying discarded trash that I collected on trails to it as a
                demonstration of where not to throw trash. We had a good chat and he
                presented me with a special "host" patch that had been made for the
                occasion. I hope I see him again sometime.

                Yours in Service,

                Don Wilson
              • Natalie Bozier
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2007
                  What do you do if the your council says they do not have the
                  information? Will this meeting be an open meeting? Would there be a
                  problem with a concerned scouter attending?

                  Natalie

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, NeilLup@... wrote:

                  > In a message dated 4/4/07 12:05:09 PM, ed5870@... writes:
                  >

                  > > How does one get information on the National Meeting
                  > >

                  > Contact your local council and ask for a packet on the National
                  Meeting.

                  > Best wishes,
                  >
                  > Neil Lupton

                • bill smith
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 11, 2007
                    Someone in your council does have the information.
                    Depending on size National mails packets to
                    several professionals and volunteers. Our council
                    in Portland gets about a dozen. The best
                    source of information might be the Scout
                    Executive's secretary.

                    One usually needs credentials - an official badge -
                    to get into the displays and other meetings. In recent
                    years there has been a bit of picketing so security
                    has picked up.

                    It also could be: keep out the worker bees and
                    only let us drones in.

                    bill smith

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                      I just registered on line for the National Meeting next month.
                      The registration process was straight forward and reasonably easy to follow.
                      There are more than forty elective sessions to choose from - a huge
                      improvement from previous years - covering a wide range of subjects.
                      Most sessions are 1 hour long so that it is possible to register for two
                      on Thursday and two more on Friday.
                      However about a dozen sessions are an hour and a half long and overlap
                      the scheduled times of other sessions by 15 minutes. If you choose one
                      of these sessions you cannot register for the later session time. If you
                      do select one of these you are limited to only three sessions. If you
                      choose two of the 1.5 hour sessions, those will be the only two you get.
                      It seems like an awkward way of organizing things considering how well
                      the rest seems to be done. I wonder what the thinking was.

                      --

                      bill smith
                      The best gift for a Cub Scout.......
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                        Where or is there a link for this conference?

                        Scott Truax

                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2009
                          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, struax@... wrote:

                          > Where or is there a link for this conference?
                          >
                          > Scott Truax

                          Go to the National Web Site.
                          Log into MyScouting.
                          Check your profile to see that Event Registration is enabled.
                          The listed events are: Jamboree, National Annual Meeting and Philmont Training Center.
                          Choose National Annual Meeting.
                          A pdf program for the meeting will pop up.
                          Scoll to the last page.
                          Click on Register Now.
                          It will pass you through to a page where you can start the registration process.

                          Jamie