Re: [Scouter_T] Fast Start

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
      Dee Dee,
      According to the current Training Book, 34169D, The Fast Start Video
      for all of the CUn Scout positions is AV-01V022.

      Dave

      Dee Dee wrote:

      > > Do any of you have the CS Fast Start supply number for the video &
      > > booklet? I am working on a document at work & don't have my materials
      > > handy.
      >
      > Wendell, this one is not in the database. I'll add once I receive the
      > information.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Dee Dee

      To reply, remove the word, "nospam" from my return address, or click on
      the mailto: address below

      Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis@...
      164 Tuttle Lane (603) 431 5342
      Greenland, NH 03840
      Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam
      possit materiari?
    • Maddalena, Frank
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
        Just to add my 2cents worth. I have watched the old "fast start" video (pre
        1996) and the new one. While the old one has some minor flaws in it for
        today's program, the most visible was the single den leader in a house full
        of boys. The new one addresses that issue, and corrects it to show 2 deep
        leadership, it still lacks any sort of variation from one pack position to
        another. The dialog is verbatim from job function to job function, even
        "Max", the dog, barks the same in each segment. BSA in general needs to have
        a version for rural America and suburban life. It kind of insults some
        people showing this home run pack as the normal American Cub Scout den, most
        city packs either run in a school or public facility and this needs to be
        made more clear to these new leaders. If you run the program with a room of
        people with different pack positions and you ask them to watch the whole
        tape to familiarize themselves with the other positions in the pack, because
        they may one day want to hold that job, and you show the whole tape, it sort
        of, in my opinion puts things in a poor perspective to these new leaders? It
        portrays all positions as "the same when in reality they are similar but
        vastly different, and each leader is different in their way they will
        implement the program. I am hoping the 2001 version will be a new and
        Improved video, because this one makes BSA look rather silly.

        Frank Maddalena
        3rd Ave. Transportation
        (718) 802 - 5633

      • ClayConver@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 30, 2001
          In a message dated 4/30/01 1:48:06 PM, maddalenaf@... writes:

          << I am hoping the 2001 version will be a new and
          Improved video, because this one makes BSA look rather silly.

          I have to agree. I feel the current video is a step back from the previous
          one. There is far too much repatition, between the positions, and the dog
          doesn't work for me. Our new leaders need some real meat in the Fast Start
          video. The current one definitely isn't good for showing how the positions
          fit together.

          YIS
          Clay Converse
          Baden Powell Council, Binghamton, NY
        • David Pickering
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 15, 2002
            Next, can anyone lead me to any information they found valuable in
            > learning about Boy Scouting, especially at the Tiger level? (And
            > especially in how it's different from Girl Scouting...I know just the
            > terminology is going to drive me batty. I kept wanting to
            > say "troop"!)
            >
            > I'm not going to be the leader of his den (I'd need to be cloned) but
            > like being able to help and know what's going on. And anyway, I
            > asked too many questions at the informational meeting so the guy from
            > the council handed me one of the adult registration forms without
            > even asking me if I wanted one! (He only had 4 on him...and I felt
            > lucky when 2 others agreed to be den leaders.)
            >
            > Emily

            Emily,
            One of the best sources for introduction to the Cub Scout Program is Fast
            Start. You can find a cyber version at
            http://www.scouting.org/cubscouts/faststart. I do not have a Tiger Cub book
            handy, but the Wolf and Bear books have a really good parents section that
            explains a lot as well. I read it several months after my son joined and
            that was when I began to understand the way things work.

            David Pickering
            Assistant Cubmaster Pack 303
            Pack/Troop 303 Webmaster
            http://303scout.tripod.com
            North Florida Council
            Great Muskogee District
          • Signe Rogers
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2002
              If you get two messages from me with this request, I apologize. I
              "think" I accidentally deleted my first attempt to post, but in case I
              hit the send button instead, well what I can say but "ooops" all the way
              around & ask your forgiveness.

              I need help getting my hands on the handout that goes along with the Cub
              & Boy Scout Fast Start tapes. As a new District Training Chair, can't
              seem to locate these materials - even my Council office can't find any
              copies & I need them ASAP.

              Can somebody on the list help me here & make a PDF of these & send them
              to me and/or upload them to the list files?

              Signe Rogers

              Santa Fe Trail Dist. Training Chair

              Quivira Council, Kansas