RE: [Scouter_T] FA/CPR Training

  • Toni McGowan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 15 4:25 AM
      I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
      Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
      training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

      Toni McGowan
      Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
      Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

      > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
      > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
      > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
      > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?
    • Ken Payne Jr
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15 6:13 AM
        I'm not from your area, but the best places to look are rescue squads,
        and fire houses. You should be able to contact either the Red Cross or
        AHA.

        The problem with the cost, is the crd you get and the books you get
        have to be paided for from someone, but the part that brings the price
        up is manakins, unless the instructor has access to the manikins they
        have to rent them, and that can be expensive.

        I a AHA training center where I work and we have all the manikins, they
        we can use so that is no cost and our company allows us to CPR /FA as
        comm8nity service, so we do it for no charge for boys scouts, churches
        etc...
      • Tom Burke
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 27 9:23 AM
          Many smaller Red Cross chapters are not aware or are unfamiliar with the national agreement between Red Cross and the BSA. There agreement sets forth the cost of supplies and training. BUT it also allows us (BSA) to develop our own cadre of Instructors, and to offer our own courses. For example, my council (Great Rivers- Mid Missouri) will be offering a Wilderness First Aid Basics Course, AND CPR for the Professional Rescuer Course for the combined total cost of $60.00. We have three instructors who are trained at the Emergency Response (First Responder) Level, and who are also the WFAB instructors (ok, I am one of them). If my ARC Chapter were offering just the CPR for the Prof. Rescuer course, it would be $55.00. (Other Chapters charge more, but they have a higher overhead to cover.) Doing these courses correctly, with the right resources and instructors is critical. They can get costly... you have the manikins to buy & maintain, or rent - The Video (again purchase or rent) - expendable supplies like gloves and breathing barriers, decontamination supplies, books, and the authorized provider fee to the Red Cross.

          IF we really start doing this the way we can and should, every Council would purchase the manikins et. al. and we arrange to train our own people. What will it take - enough people requesting it from our councils, so that CPR/FA Training becomes a priority. Why has it been so hard to find a WFAB course? - no one asked for it...(it takes 16 hours to complete and does not include CPR) they took the standard First Aid course to meet the basic requirements. (about 2.5-3 hours). Philmont will be requiring WFAB for the 2008 Season - so the demand will be there.

          Tom Burke

          I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
          Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
          training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

          Toni McGowan
          Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
          Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

          > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
          > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
          > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
          > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?

        • Richard Pennington
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 27 3:42 PM
            Where can I find the documentation of the agreement? I would like to get
            something going here.

            Richard Pennington

            Eagle Scout Class of 1988

            Unit Commissioner Tall Timbers District ETAC

            Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 138

            Advisor Crew 138

            District Committee Tall Timbers District ETAC

            _____

          • JNDunnMN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 27 4:08 PM
              Here's a press release the BSA put out in 2003:
              http://www.scouting.org/media/press/2003/030212/index.html

              and here's the one from the Red Cross:
              http://www.redcross.org/article/0,1072,0_332_427,00.html
              Jamie Niss Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              Pack 512, Blaine/Coon Rapids Minnesota
              Cub Scout Training Coordinator
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              3 Rivers District

              I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
              Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
              training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

              Toni McGowan
              Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
              Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

              > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
              > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
              > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
              > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?

            • Melina Baker
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 28 10:06 PM
                Richard,

                If you recall, when you first brought up this topic I had suggested you get
                in touch with Lynn C. in 3 Rivers District because she is one of a couple of
                different scouters that does FA/CPR training in our council (ETAC). As it
                happens, she and I were discussing the ARC/BSA agreement just this evening
                and she is well aware of it. You can reach her by sending a message out on
                my district's yahoo group, which you are also a member of:
                3riversroundtable@yahoogroups.com or I will give you her contact information
                directly if you want to email me off this list at melina at 9035865051 dot
                com. She can probably save you some time and trouble!

                Melina Baker

                Cubmaster, Pack 403

                Unit Commissioner, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                District Marketing Chair, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                "I used to be a Bobwhite."

                _____