Behavior Issues within Troop

  • thepucketter
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15 6:14 AM
      Not directly a training issue BUT something we are struggling with.

      We are a new Troop with primarily younger boys - there are 2 boys
      who are pretty rowdy and are able to continuously disrupt our
      meetings (we have 9 boys total). Two-three other boys will allow
      themselves to get "roped" in to the disrputive behavior. Hitting,
      kicking, picking on, etc....

      Without becoming an "adult" led troop can anyone give me some tips
      on things you have done or are doing that work for your Troop. We
      have come up with a couple of ideas but it would be nice to know
      what others are doing and what works for them. A couple of things:

      We want to steer away from sitting boys out or keeping them from
      attending meetings due to behavior. We are looking for positive
      correction.

      One parent is always at the meetings but is very relaxed about
      keeping his son in line. The other boy has issues at home and we
      don't want to involve the parents and add to his problems.

      Quite a handful of the boys are expressing concern about the
      behavior including parents and we need to address this right away.

      Thank you very much!
      Ann Puckett
      Troop 209
      Grand Rapids, MI
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 15 8:09 AM
        What does your SPL think?

        thepucketter <annmpuckett@...> wrote: Not directly a training issue BUT something we are struggling with.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        connie

      • Ann Puckett

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 15 10:28 AM
            Have you considered awarding something very simple for good behavior?
            Perhaps beads? Give each boy a leather thong to wear the beads around
            his neck. You can have simple pony beads for weekly meeting behavior
            accomplishments. Then, for your outings, purchase a special bead -
            something that will remind each boy of the fun he had that weekend. If
            you can't find a bead that fits, make one. Michael's carries small
            wooden cut-outs with lots of themes, you can glue those to a barrel
            bead, and poof! you have a bead special to your event.

            I have heard of this working in troops, however, my troop has not done
            this as of yet.

            You are right to want to steer away from banning the boy from meetings,
            etc. - I used to belong to a troop that thought that was the answer -
            it wasn't. It only made my kid want to quit scouts all together. I
            wouldn't allow him to quit, but I did allow him to change troops. Took
            him around to all the troops in the area and he chose the troop.

            Good luck to you and your troop!

            Trish

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:

            > Yes our SPL has been involved and gave some input - we had gotten away
            from splitting up into Patrols (smaller groups) so we are going to be
            sure that we are using the Patrol method and implementing more games and
            less "talk"....I still would like to know what other troops are doing.
            We are considering drafting a policy centered on the Scout Law - any
            samples?

            > Connie Knie cknie23100@... wrote: What does your SPL think?
            >
            > thepucketter annmpuckett@... wrote: Not directly a training issue BUT
            something we are struggling with.

            > We are a new Troop with primarily younger boys - there are 2 boys
            > who are pretty rowdy and are able to continuously disrupt our
            > meetings (we have 9 boys total). Two-three other boys will allow
            > themselves to get "roped" in to the disrputive behavior. Hitting,
            > kicking, picking on, etc....
            >
            > Without becoming an "adult" led troop can anyone give me some tips
            > on things you have done or are doing that work for your Troop. We
            > have come up with a couple of ideas but it would be nice to know
            > what others are doing and what works for them. A couple of things:
            >
            > We want to steer away from sitting boys out or keeping them from
            > attending meetings due to behavior. We are looking for positive
            > correction.
            >
            > One parent is always at the meetings but is very relaxed about
            > keeping his son in line. The other boy has issues at home and we
            > don't want to involve the parents and add to his problems.
            >
            > Quite a handful of the boys are expressing concern about the
            > behavior including parents and we need to address this right away.
            >
            > Thank you very much!
            > Ann Puckett
            > Troop 209
            > Grand Rapids, MI

            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >
            > connie
            >
            > SUPPORT OUR TROOPS WITH YOUR OLD BLUE JEANS!!

          • Brant Lippincott
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 15 10:34 AM
              Something that worked for my Webelos den (a few years ago) was having the boys develop their own code of conduct. When they put stuff on it like "no hitting" it means something to THEM! You can "guide" them to adding some things that you'd like to see on there. Ask them - "Do you think it would be important to say something about hitting?" But wait for them to come up with most - if not all - of it. When they say it, THEY believe it. It's not something imposed from above....

              For the Boys,
              Brant Lippincott

              Ann Puckett <annmpuckett@...> wrote:
              Yes our SPL has been involved and gave some input - we had gotten away from splitting up into Patrols (smaller groups) so we are going to be sure that we are using the Patrol method and implementing more games and less "talk"....I still would like to know what other troops are doing. We are considering drafting a policy centered on the Scout Law - any samples?

              Connie Knie wrote: What does your SPL think?

              thepucketter wrote: Not directly a training issue BUT something we are struggling with.

            • NeilLup@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 16 5:49 PM
                In a message dated 3/15/07 9:15:07 AM, annmpuckett@... writes:

                > We are a new Troop with primarily younger boys - there are 2 boys
                > who are pretty rowdy and are able to continuously disrupt our
                > meetings (we have 9 boys total). Two-three other boys will allow
                > themselves to get "roped" in to the disrputive behavior. Hitting,
                > kicking, picking on, etc....
                >
                > Without becoming an "adult" led troop can anyone give me some tips
                > on things you have done or are doing that work for your Troop.

                Hello Ann,

                I wanted to suggest a possibility that others have not, I believe,
                suggested. I once participated in a course on diversity in Scouting. One topic
                discussed in depth was youth with ADD/ADHD.

                I understand that asking these youth to sit still and keep quiet is asking
                them to do something extraordinarily difficult and not fun at all for them.
                However, a couple of leaders said that they had youth like this and they
                addressed the situation by changing the culture of the unit.

                For example, one SM said that he had a boy who really had trouble sitting
                still. So if he started to feel twitchy, he would give a signal to the SM
                like touching his ear. The SM would not and the boy would quietly stand up
                and start to walk around while still listening to what has happening.
                Everybody in the Troop knew about it and nothing was said. When he felt he
                could, he sat down again. If the SM wasn't around, the boy could just stand
                up on his own and start walking around.

                Other leaders talked about similar situations. Boys were told that they
                could be active, if they needed to, but not disruptive. Part of the
                accomodation was ensuring that there wasn't too much sitting time.

                Is there any chance that either of your boys have ADD/ADHD situations and
                that is a factor in what you are seeing?

                Best wishes,

                Neil Lupton

              • touch_of_cntry
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 17 9:41 AM
                  My suggestion would be to have the PLC draft up their weekly plan
                  that follows the suggested BSA meeting plan.

                  Preopening Activity
                  Opening Ceremony
                  Skills Instruction (a few minutes)
                  Patrol Meetings (Keep them doing something - not just sitting)
                  Interpatrol Activity (Keep it fun and outdoors if possible)
                  Closing
                  After the Meeting

                  Keep the boys busy doing something fun and they will be more likely
                  to keep on task. The best troop we have ever been in followed this
                  plan above and they did not sit in a room. Every meeting they did
                  fun stuff, like make caving sticks, next week they might practice
                  with those caving sticks placing them and following them through the
                  park. The following meeting could be about repelling (down the
                  stairs), the week after they might meet at a trail and go mountain
                  biking. That troop was so active and fun! The boys had about a 95%
                  attendance and they enjoyed being there. Everyone was well behaved
                  because they were so busy doing cool stuff.

                  I hope that helps.

                  --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "thepucketter" <annmpuckett@...>