Re: FA/CPR Training

  • docwalrus2
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 14, 2007
      We are fortunate to have a very active Red Cross chapter BUT - we also
      have a Scouter who is certified as a CPR instructor. She is a venture
      crew advisor, on roundtable staff, and serves as an EMT for most
      District events.

      Perhaps a local pack/troop/crew has a scouter who is a physician,
      nurse, or EMT that would be interested in taking the instructors
      course and providing the training to Scouts and Scouters for the cost
      of materials.

      Dean

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Pennington" <rpenning@...>
      wrote:

      > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have called
      around
      > and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a person for this stuff. I
      have seen
      > people talk about getting it for little to nothing. Any
      suggestions? We do
      > not have a red cross around here that provides this, they all
      reference the
      > hospitals.
      >

      > Richard Pennington
      >
      > Eagle Scout Class of 1988
      >
      > Unit Commissioner Tall Timbers District ETAC
      >
      > Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 138
      >
      > Advisor Crew 138
      >
      > District Committee Tall Timbers District ETAC

    • Toni McGowan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 15, 2007
        I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
        Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
        training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

        Toni McGowan
        Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
        Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

        > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
        > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
        > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
        > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?
      • Ken Payne Jr
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 15, 2007
          I'm not from your area, but the best places to look are rescue squads,
          and fire houses. You should be able to contact either the Red Cross or
          AHA.

          The problem with the cost, is the crd you get and the books you get
          have to be paided for from someone, but the part that brings the price
          up is manakins, unless the instructor has access to the manikins they
          have to rent them, and that can be expensive.

          I a AHA training center where I work and we have all the manikins, they
          we can use so that is no cost and our company allows us to CPR /FA as
          comm8nity service, so we do it for no charge for boys scouts, churches
          etc...
        • Tom Burke
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 27, 2007
            Many smaller Red Cross chapters are not aware or are unfamiliar with the national agreement between Red Cross and the BSA. There agreement sets forth the cost of supplies and training. BUT it also allows us (BSA) to develop our own cadre of Instructors, and to offer our own courses. For example, my council (Great Rivers- Mid Missouri) will be offering a Wilderness First Aid Basics Course, AND CPR for the Professional Rescuer Course for the combined total cost of $60.00. We have three instructors who are trained at the Emergency Response (First Responder) Level, and who are also the WFAB instructors (ok, I am one of them). If my ARC Chapter were offering just the CPR for the Prof. Rescuer course, it would be $55.00. (Other Chapters charge more, but they have a higher overhead to cover.) Doing these courses correctly, with the right resources and instructors is critical. They can get costly... you have the manikins to buy & maintain, or rent - The Video (again purchase or rent) - expendable supplies like gloves and breathing barriers, decontamination supplies, books, and the authorized provider fee to the Red Cross.

            IF we really start doing this the way we can and should, every Council would purchase the manikins et. al. and we arrange to train our own people. What will it take - enough people requesting it from our councils, so that CPR/FA Training becomes a priority. Why has it been so hard to find a WFAB course? - no one asked for it...(it takes 16 hours to complete and does not include CPR) they took the standard First Aid course to meet the basic requirements. (about 2.5-3 hours). Philmont will be requiring WFAB for the 2008 Season - so the demand will be there.

            Tom Burke

            I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
            Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
            training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

            Toni McGowan
            Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
            Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

            > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
            > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
            > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
            > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?

          • Richard Pennington

            • JNDunnMN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 27, 2007
                Here's a press release the BSA put out in 2003:
                http://www.scouting.org/media/press/2003/030212/index.html

                and here's the one from the Red Cross:
                http://www.redcross.org/article/0,1072,0_332_427,00.html
                Jamie Niss Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                Pack 512, Blaine/Coon Rapids Minnesota
                Cub Scout Training Coordinator
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District

                I have been fortunate in finding local volunteer EMT's who are also CPR
                Instructors that work for firehouses that have meeting rooms and provide
                training for the costs of the books only ($7.00 last year)

                Toni McGowan
                Unit Commissioner and Religious Emblems Counselor, NCAC, Zekiah District
                Administrator, T417, Waldorf, MD

                > Where are good places to look to get this training? I have
                > called around and the hospitals want like 35 dollars a
                > person for this stuff. I have seen people talk about getting
                > it for little to nothing. Any suggestions?

              • Melina Baker
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 28, 2007
                  Richard,

                  If you recall, when you first brought up this topic I had suggested you get
                  in touch with Lynn C. in 3 Rivers District because she is one of a couple of
                  different scouters that does FA/CPR training in our council (ETAC). As it
                  happens, she and I were discussing the ARC/BSA agreement just this evening
                  and she is well aware of it. You can reach her by sending a message out on
                  my district's yahoo group, which you are also a member of:
                  3riversroundtable@yahoogroups.com or I will give you her contact information
                  directly if you want to email me off this list at melina at 9035865051 dot
                  com. She can probably save you some time and trouble!

                  Melina Baker

                  Cubmaster, Pack 403

                  Unit Commissioner, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                  Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                  District Marketing Chair, 3 Rivers District ETAC

                  "I used to be a Bobwhite."

                  _____