Re: Troop Committee Challenge ONLINE

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 9, 2007
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Brant Lippincott <brant@...> wrote:

      > Did anyone mention taking TCC to the Troop?? That is an option. We
      WILL do that upon request.

      I do it all the time (just this past Tuesday, in fact). It's the best
      way, in my opinion, because the group discovers things together. It's
      a great opportunity to uncover misunderstandings about how the
      scoutmaster and the committee are actually supposed to work together.

      It's a great example of why TCC was a poor choice to put online.

      Dave
    • Sandy L Maines
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 10, 2007
        I have yet to look at TCC on-line, but have presented this training many
        times, always at the Troop level though my District does offer it once or
        twice a year. I have found that it is really geared to be a
        team-building, as well as informative, training and the team that needs
        to be built is the Committee of a Troop. Often times Scouters find out
        what their job really entails (one Troop found that one Committee member
        had given most of her job to them) and like to see how their jobs work
        together for the good of the Troop. It also allows someone to "try" out
        a position on the Committee for a short time and see how they like it. I
        have also found it is good to include the Scoutmaster so he/she can see
        what a great team they have to back them up. I also recommend to the
        Committee members that they attend Scoutmaster Specific so they can
        understand what they are supporting. I have also held this training over
        a two troop meeting time and involve every parent that is at the
        meetings. When they see how the jobs can be broken down into manageable
        pieces they are more likely to volunteer to be an active part of the
        troop. A good time of year to hold this is shortly after the Webelos
        have crossed over and there are lots of new parents in the Troop.

        I find that TCC tends to be the most fun training, outside of outdoor
        trainings, as it is very interaction oriented and not video driven. With
        puzzles and games, people really get involved and have a good time.

        Sandy