Re: [Scouter_T] Re:Online Training

  • Joseph Jansen
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
      I am not involved in Scout training at this point but will offer that any
      good training has to
      engage the participants. Training that tends to the theoretical without
      good solid
      practical examples will be training that is less effective.

      If you are going to learn a particular style of cooking the best way to do
      it is to do it.
      Dutch oven cooking is a bit different from other types of cooking and there
      are tricks
      to learn to do it successfully (mainly preparing good cooking coals and
      distributing
      them over and under the oven in the right proportions for the kind of meal
      being
      prepared). The best way to learn how to do it is to do it. The bonus is
      that you are
      rewarded with something tasty and good to eat when you are done.

      I remember learning to drive a car and for all that you could learn about
      operating a
      car from a book actually driving one (initially on a vacant parking lot)
      turned out to
      be the most valuable part of the instruction. There is something to the
      "feel" of
      driving a car that can only be experienced by actually doing it. Learning
      how long
      it takes such a heavy piece of machinery to come to a full stop is something
      you
      can read about in a book but have to experience to fully appreciate.

      I like Scout training which emphasizes the value to encouraging boys to work
      together
      as a team. I was particularly proud as a Scoutmaster when boys would help
      the new
      guys come up to speed, treating the new guys with respect, courtesy and
      kindness.

      Joe Jansen
      JAJansenJr@...