Fwd: [Scouter_T] Re:Online Training

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
      Yep.... Good points all!!

      Some of the classes could be well served as an online class. And I do think that YPT is a good example. BUT, I'd like to hold a higher standard. At work, I just had to take a couple of on-line classes (Sexual Harrasment & email protocols). Passing was 100% Miss one question and you had to review the material and take the test again.

      The problem with putting the onus on an individual is (as you noted), you have to study a little harder to get the material out of it. The question becomes - what material do we want folks to get out of the course. I think a LOT of NLE is "soft" knowlege. Like this: You are not in it alone. Boys grow at different rates. Do we expect the participants to KNOW the scout oath when they are finished? People will get out of it what they put into it. I'm afraid that some would just breeze through it (NLE, LST) and not really get much out of it. I know it's a lot to ask someone to sit for 4-1/2 hours to go throught NLE and LST, but I think if we set expactations high and COMMUNICATE to the new leader, they will appreciate it and be ready to take the class. I still have people out there (CMs, for pete's sake) who think that LST is one hour!

      I would hope that those that want to lead the boys would be willing to sit for a day or so and really learn what they need to do to make it a GOOD experience for the boys!!

      I do see opportunities in other areas where the folks may have to travel a LONG way... I live in Dallas, TX. We hold classes locally and on a Saturday morning, it might take 15 minutes to drive across town. I'd be interested in hearing about what folks who live in the wide open spaces (like Montanna) do to get folks. Do you take the training to them??

      For the Boys,
      Brant

      george Bruckjr <beowulf608@...> wrote:
      Some subjects definitely require human interaction at
      least to some degree. I have taken several online
      college courses, and one thing I found is that they
      are more difficult to complete than taking a regular
      class at the local community college even though the
      curriculum is the same.

      The onus is on the individual to learn the material
      and it is difficult to ask questions....leading(at
      least in my case) to a very good understanding of the
      materials through having to study more. On the other
      hand, it was often frustrating compared to my in class
      courses where I could ask the instructor about thing
      which either confused me or just to clarify a point.

      I think that the online training is a good thing for
      some subjects, like youth protection, but perhaps not
      so much for things such as the unit committee
      challenge as I believe the whole committee or at least
      a majority should be together at the course.

      Perhaps the BSA needs to research somehow which
      subjects might be best served on the internet, which
      should stay as an in session training format, and
      which might benefit from a combination of some sort.

      Under any circumstance, theres no such thing as too
      much training, and the availability of the information
      we now have via internet is a boon to those of us who
      want to ensure the best programs possible for the
      kids.

    • Joseph Jansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
        I am not involved in Scout training at this point but will offer that any
        good training has to
        engage the participants. Training that tends to the theoretical without
        good solid
        practical examples will be training that is less effective.

        If you are going to learn a particular style of cooking the best way to do
        it is to do it.
        Dutch oven cooking is a bit different from other types of cooking and there
        are tricks
        to learn to do it successfully (mainly preparing good cooking coals and
        distributing
        them over and under the oven in the right proportions for the kind of meal
        being
        prepared). The best way to learn how to do it is to do it. The bonus is
        that you are
        rewarded with something tasty and good to eat when you are done.

        I remember learning to drive a car and for all that you could learn about
        operating a
        car from a book actually driving one (initially on a vacant parking lot)
        turned out to
        be the most valuable part of the instruction. There is something to the
        "feel" of
        driving a car that can only be experienced by actually doing it. Learning
        how long
        it takes such a heavy piece of machinery to come to a full stop is something
        you
        can read about in a book but have to experience to fully appreciate.

        I like Scout training which emphasizes the value to encouraging boys to work
        together
        as a team. I was particularly proud as a Scoutmaster when boys would help
        the new
        guys come up to speed, treating the new guys with respect, courtesy and
        kindness.

        Joe Jansen
        JAJansenJr@...