Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Troop Committee Challenge ONLINE

  • NeilLup@aol.com
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 5, 2007
      In a message dated 2/5/07 1:20:22 AM, rpenning@... writes:

      > Do you have the ability to find out from this person that put together the
      > online trop committee challenge if they can tell what other online training
      > courses will be coming in the future?
      >
      > Richard Pennington

      Hello Richard,

      That's not now things are organized right now. The person who put together
      Troop Committee Challenge is a member of the Boy Scout Training Task Force.
      But Troop Committee Challenge is his only training course development
      responsibility. New Leader Essentials, for example, is led, I believe, by
      the National Cub Scouting Committee. The On-Line Training Center is the
      responsibility of the Leadership Support Division. So for each individual item,
      the development is by one of the program divisions -- Cub Scouting, Boy
      Scouting, Venturing -- then the decision to go on-line is done by the program
      division, Leadership Support and National Audiovisual and it gets done. The
      cost of DVDs and on-line training can be very high, so in many cases, it is the
      decision of which of the courses can be put on-line within the available
      budget. In the case of the Troop Committee Challenge, I believe that much of
      the cost of development was privately funded.

      I'll find out what I can but there is no one source I have access to where I
      can find out about everything.

      Best wishes,

      Neil Lupton

    • Sandy L Maines
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 10, 2007
        I have yet to look at TCC on-line, but have presented this training many
        times, always at the Troop level though my District does offer it once or
        twice a year. I have found that it is really geared to be a
        team-building, as well as informative, training and the team that needs
        to be built is the Committee of a Troop. Often times Scouters find out
        what their job really entails (one Troop found that one Committee member
        had given most of her job to them) and like to see how their jobs work
        together for the good of the Troop. It also allows someone to "try" out
        a position on the Committee for a short time and see how they like it. I
        have also found it is good to include the Scoutmaster so he/she can see
        what a great team they have to back them up. I also recommend to the
        Committee members that they attend Scoutmaster Specific so they can
        understand what they are supporting. I have also held this training over
        a two troop meeting time and involve every parent that is at the
        meetings. When they see how the jobs can be broken down into manageable
        pieces they are more likely to volunteer to be an active part of the
        troop. A good time of year to hold this is shortly after the Webelos
        have crossed over and there are lots of new parents in the Troop.

        I find that TCC tends to be the most fun training, outside of outdoor
        trainings, as it is very interaction oriented and not video driven. With
        puzzles and games, people really get involved and have a good time.

        Sandy