Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 1490

  • Mikedunne@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2007
      RE: Online Training

      I am a big proponent of in-person training as it is more interactive -- not
      only instructor to student but also student-student (ie meeting people like
      you looking to do the same thing you do).

      However, the reality is it is more and more difficult to get people to carve
      out time to attend a training session. We often barely have enough people
      to break even on training events while the potential "class" is often 10-20-30
      times larger than the number that attends.

      I would imagine most of us on this list are baby-boomers or beyond. Our
      target audience comes from different generations with different expectations
      (and obviously comfortable with on-line activity). They are generally not into
      long meetings (or meetings at all) but do generally like teamwork. There are
      other differences as well which I will not go into -- let's just say they
      have a different operating system (somewhat) than my generation does.

      I know someone said on-line training is better than no training -- equals a
      cop-out. But I also think it is a nod to the reality that if we hold that
      training, they will come. It is obvious to me that that thought process is NOT
      working. So, perhaps some on-line training is fine.

      I personally did Scoutmastership Fundamentals by reading the syllabus, what
      was then called self-study because I wanted to go to Boy Scout Leader Wood
      Badge and there were no Scoutmastership Fundamentals courses planned before the
      deadline to sign up. (I later became training chairman for my district and
      then my council and made sure that was not a problem for future assistant
      scoutmasters and scoutmasters in my district and council.)

      I wish we could get more people to training sessions, but the reality is it
      is tough. So, it might be that for many of those who would never carve out
      the time, they will be exposed to some of what they really need to know from
      on-line.

      Yours in Scouting,

      Mike Dunne
      program vice chairman, Executive Board, Istrouma Area Council, Baton Rouge
      some other hats too.