Online Training

  • Steven Powell
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 2 7:36 AM
      Cross-post from Scouts-L that I thought would add some fuel to the
      discussion of online training or OLC. I have an opinion on this post and
      will share shortly.

      Steve Powell

      Longs Peak Council

      /////////////////////////////////////////////////

      Regarding online learning, I received this e-mail from an education list I
      am part of and thought I'd pass it along to share:

      Sloan-C's Effective Practices collection is a steadily growing work in

      progress that enables educators to share effective practices for teaching
      and

      learning online. The Sloan-C framework identifies five pillars as key
      principles

      for achieving quality, and to be included in the collection an effective

      practice must demonstrate evidence of effectiveness in these areas.

      The hallmarks of the quality pillars are:

      * Learning Effectiveness: The provider demonstrates that the quality

      of learning online is comparable to the quality of its traditional programs.

      * Cost Effectiveness and Institutional Commitment: Institutions

      continuously improve services while reducing cost.

      * Access: All learners who wish to learn online have the opportunity

      and can achieve success.

      * Faculty Satisfaction: Faculty achieve success with teaching online,

      citing appreciation and happiness.

      * Student Satisfaction: Students are successful in learning online and

      are pleased with their experience.

      To build and share emerging knowledge and to recognize excellence, practices

      nominated for inclusion in the Sloan-C collection meet these criteria:

      * Innovation - the practice is inventive or original.

      * Replicability - the practice can be implemented in a variety of

      learning environments.

      * Potential impact - the practice would advance the field if many

      adopted it.

      * Supporting documentation - the practice is supported with evidence

      of effectiveness.

      * Scope - the practice explains its relationship with other quality

      elements.

      View the Sloan-C Effective Practices at _www.sloan-c.org/effective_

      (http://mail.ccie.com/go/eed/1473).

      Learn more about Sloan-C at _www.sloan-c.org/index.asp_

      (http://www.sloan-c.org/index.asp)

      YIS,

      Mary Cooper

    • george Bruckjr
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 3 5:36 AM
        I'm not sure how relevent this is, but I have seen
        ALOT of posts in a couple of groups about the online
        training and wanted to share my thoughts.

        Some subjects definitely require human interaction at
        least to some degree. I have taken several online
        college courses, and one thing I found is that they
        are more difficult to complete than taking a regular
        class at the local community college even though the
        curriculum is the same.

        The onus is on the individual to learn the material
        and it is difficult to ask questions....leading(at
        least in my case) to a very good understanding of the
        materials through having to study more. On the other
        hand, it was often frustrating compared to my in class
        courses where I could ask the instructor about thing
        which either confused me or just to clarify a point.

        I think that the online training is a good thing for
        some subjects, like youth protection, but perhaps not
        so much for things such as the unit committee
        challenge as I believe the whole committee or at least
        a majority should be together at the course.

        Perhaps the BSA needs to research somehow which
        subjects might be best served on the internet, which
        should stay as an in session training format, and
        which might benefit from a combination of some sort.

        Under any circumstance, theres no such thing as too
        much training, and the availability of the information
        we now have via internet is a boon to those of us who
        want to ensure the best programs possible for the
        kids.

        Just a couple of cents worth of opinion.

        Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
        in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.