Re: Troop Committee Challenge ONLINE/Neil and others

  • JWoughter
    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 1, 2007
      A great topic and a great debate ...

      I wanted to add a thought that hasn't been mentioned yet.

      I am a scouter in a very large district, where the units are far
      apart, and have been a volunteer for nearly five years. I am
      convinced that the district tries its best to deliver a quality
      training product to us, but the distance between the district
      headquarters and various units (where training might occur) makes it
      very difficult to attend training.

      This has been the first opportunity in five years that I've had to
      get this training (the online course, that is.) I am appreciative
      that the possibility exists to take the training, and will encourage
      the other members of the troop committee to take it as well.

      At the same time, I am not going to stop encouraging the leaders to
      get the training done in person, when it is available ... and that's
      the point I'd like to make.

      Several leaders and I have gone to the training again after several
      years for refresher. So in our case, I hope that I can use the
      online course to get the adults some kind of training and
      understanding of how the program should work, and then jump from
      there to get them to go to the training in person.

      For our troop (and I think both our district and council) the online
      training is a good thing.

      John Woughter
      Troop 56
      Bonn, Germany
    • Sandy L Maines
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 10, 2007
        I have yet to look at TCC on-line, but have presented this training many
        times, always at the Troop level though my District does offer it once or
        twice a year. I have found that it is really geared to be a
        team-building, as well as informative, training and the team that needs
        to be built is the Committee of a Troop. Often times Scouters find out
        what their job really entails (one Troop found that one Committee member
        had given most of her job to them) and like to see how their jobs work
        together for the good of the Troop. It also allows someone to "try" out
        a position on the Committee for a short time and see how they like it. I
        have also found it is good to include the Scoutmaster so he/she can see
        what a great team they have to back them up. I also recommend to the
        Committee members that they attend Scoutmaster Specific so they can
        understand what they are supporting. I have also held this training over
        a two troop meeting time and involve every parent that is at the
        meetings. When they see how the jobs can be broken down into manageable
        pieces they are more likely to volunteer to be an active part of the
        troop. A good time of year to hold this is shortly after the Webelos
        have crossed over and there are lots of new parents in the Troop.

        I find that TCC tends to be the most fun training, outside of outdoor
        trainings, as it is very interaction oriented and not video driven. With
        puzzles and games, people really get involved and have a good time.

        Sandy