Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Troop Committee Challenge ONLINE/Neil and others

    Message 1 of 49 , Feb 1, 2007
      I don't want you all to get the impression that I am some training police commando or anything. I just feel very strongly that until National gives us something to back up our own "tribal knowledge" (love that) units seem loathe to even try. I mean how many units let's say start with good intentions (and we all know where that leads) BUT for some reason the adult does not get the training in three months, how many units are actually going to suspend the den meetings? Or even get seriously upset and do something about it?
      After all, at least he/she shows up each den meeting more or less and sort of knows the program even if he/she could be tweaking...............blah blah blah.........

      Gerry Moon <gerrymoon32817@...> wrote:
      Connie, I think you are on the right track, even if a little bit hard-
      line. Rather than expect National to mandate training in a top-down
      approach, it might be a better idea to flip that over - and encourage
      UNITS to decide on adding into their bylaws or handbook or tribal
      knowledge, whatever is in place, that "this unit" expects its leaders
      to participate in the training needed to satisfy the
      national "trained" status AND complete Youth Protection (and and and
      if need be) within a workable timeframe after joining (3 months, or
      whatever)- but the gist of the thing being that the unit needs 100%
      trained leaders

      connie

    • Sandy L Maines
      Message 49 of 49 , Feb 10, 2007
        I have yet to look at TCC on-line, but have presented this training many
        times, always at the Troop level though my District does offer it once or
        twice a year. I have found that it is really geared to be a
        team-building, as well as informative, training and the team that needs
        to be built is the Committee of a Troop. Often times Scouters find out
        what their job really entails (one Troop found that one Committee member
        had given most of her job to them) and like to see how their jobs work
        together for the good of the Troop. It also allows someone to "try" out
        a position on the Committee for a short time and see how they like it. I
        have also found it is good to include the Scoutmaster so he/she can see
        what a great team they have to back them up. I also recommend to the
        Committee members that they attend Scoutmaster Specific so they can
        understand what they are supporting. I have also held this training over
        a two troop meeting time and involve every parent that is at the
        meetings. When they see how the jobs can be broken down into manageable
        pieces they are more likely to volunteer to be an active part of the
        troop. A good time of year to hold this is shortly after the Webelos
        have crossed over and there are lots of new parents in the Troop.

        I find that TCC tends to be the most fun training, outside of outdoor
        trainings, as it is very interaction oriented and not video driven. With
        puzzles and games, people really get involved and have a good time.

        Sandy