FW: Re: question regarding Venturing and CERT

  • Ilively@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2007
      I was CC'ed on the reply from our Council Venturing Chair / Crew 325 Advisor.

      I thought there may be useful information for others on this subject. Lots of
      links.

      > there is contracted as CERT Training Coordinator by our county EMA
      > (http://www.citizencorps.gov/citizenCorps/councilDisplay.do?id=6296). She
      > organizes the courses and several other EMTs and paramedics with the agency (who
      > are also Venture advisors) are instructors. Our Venture Crew members have taken
      > the CERT program and are integrated in with other community members in the CERT
      > program. We have expanded on that to start a search and rescue team from the
      > community CERT program. Ultimately our Venture members have the opportunity to
      > earn certifications in EMS, CERT, and SAR.
      >
      > I found some examples of other Venture Crews / Explorer Posts / high school age
      > students that do CERT:
      >
      > http://www.citizencorps.gov/citizenCorps/certView.do?id=7001
      >
      > http://www.citizencorps.gov/citizenCorps/certView.do?certId=4481
      >
      > http://www.citizencorps.gov/citizenCorps/partnerDisplay.do?entityId=1369&partner
      > Id=3
      >
      > Winter Springs High School
      > http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/sup_wintersprings.shtm
      >
      > The President suggests that Scouts get involved in Citizen Corps activities
      > (Appendix B #6) http://www.citizencorps.gov/pdf/council.pdf
      >
      > Scouts in Minnesota and NJ
      > http://www.citizencorps.gov/pdf/news/CC_AR2004_SFS.pdf
      >
      > US-HERO
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Homeland_Emergency_Response_Organizat
      > ion
      >
      > Yonkers and high school student CERT
      > http://www.semo.state.ny.us/community/CitCorp4thNewsletter.pdf
      >
      > http://www.naem.com/connection/4/tobin4.html
      >
      > Explorers and Emergency Management http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/partnrs3.pdf
      >
      > I also just ran across this interesting grant opportunity if you are partnered
      > with a school district:
      > http://www.naem.com/connection/4/tobin4.html
      > --
      > Mark Milliron
      > Committee Chair
      > Venture Crew 325

    • Larry D. Ohs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 9, 2007
        Ida forwarded information on CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) class and a Venturing Crew. I have taken the CERT training and encourage everyone to take it. Our CERT program provider has a minimum age of 21, but our Council is sponsoring a SERT (Scouting Emergency Response Team) class for youth to take in July. I have read of Teen CERT classes being offered elsewhere too.

        Larry Ohs
        Troop 12 Assistant Scoutmaster
        Salt Valley District Training Committee
        Cornhusker Council Youth Protection Advisor
        2005 Jamboree Boating Staff
        "...and a good old Fox, too." W5-63-00
        Powder Horn, HOAC 2002, staff 2004, 2006