Re: UoS Crisis Mgmt. & Emergency Preparedness

  • robodonnellnyc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
      I have been trying to get a Venturing Unit started in NYC around an
      outdoor program and meaningful community service them which would
      include a CERT (Citizens Emergency Response Team)staffed by scouts.
      Our last rub is the the NYC govt agency that authorizes CERTS has a
      problem with under 18's.

      I found some wonderful resources for Emergency Preparedness including
      many online. DHS and FEMA offer free courses electronically
      based...they have an arrangement with an accredited community college
      in Va. so that each course qualifies for college credit at $60 a
      credit hour...well worth the youths time since most colleges are
      considerably more expensive. The most likely online independent study
      course of benefit for you is:
      IS-22 Are You Ready? An In-depth Guide to Citizen Preparedness
      http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is22.asp
      the IS-7 course IS-7 A Citizen's Guide to Disaster Assistance also is
      very valuable because it gives a broad overview to how the emergency
      management function is executed in our country.

      Here are some places to start:
      http://www.training.fema.gov/
      http://www.homelandsecurity.ms.gov/training_online_courses.html

      The idea of doing a Scout CERT team came as a result of September
      11th...I had left the WTC about ten minutes before the first plane
      came in...my son about 13 at the time asked to be able to remain in
      school in Manhattan until the normal dismissal time that day. He said
      that he didn't "want to give the terrorists the satisfaction of
      interrupting our lives"...this from a kid who absolutely hated school
      and would use any excuse to get out of it...boy was I proud of him! At
      the same time I saw how profoundly impacted other kids were. Doing a
      good job of Emergency Preparedness in Scouting not only has the
      potential to mitigate a lot of human loss but also creates a
      resiliency in our youth by allowing them to feel capable rather than
      powerless in the event of crisis...it changes their perspective about
      the possibility of natural or manmade trouble...the key will be to
      not create youth who are overconfident in newly learned skills or
      unduly complacent about avoiding crisis.

      ....--- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, RussTBC <russtbc@...> wrote:

      > I am teaching 5 classes at this years University of Scouting. I have a
      > good syllabus for 4 of my classes, however I'm struggling with one
      > class: *Crisis Mgmt. & Emergency Preparedness
      >
      > *If anyone has any helpful info or links for this course I would be in
      > your debt.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Russ*
      > *

    • Tom Burke
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2007
        If NYC is not interested in your under 18 y/o's, consider the Red Cross. We do have youth serving. There are many levels and opportunities - in addition to the FEMA training, they can do the Red Cross Disaster Training and Health & Safety Training. Train them up as First Responders (Emergency Response Course) and they can be part of First Aid Stations at events like special olympics, & in a disaster, provide first aid care at a shelter. They can also (at age 16) become Instructors in First Aid & CPR!, or give community presentations on disaster preparedness.
        The local red cross might even agree to charter your crew.

        Tom Burke
        Health & Safety Services Administrator
        Audrain-Montgomery Chapter, ARC

      • Ilively@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2007
          I replied to Rob privately, but thought this worthy of sharing w/ the group.

          Locally we have a Venture Crew that actively participates as members of an Ambulance team.

          They take the ambulance (with permission) to District and Council events to provide the First Aid (of course, with their adult partners).

          They also serve as members of the ambulance at non-scouting events -- Emergency Services Mall Show, Fourth of July Fireworks, School visits, etc.

          It's a great relationship. It helps the Ambulance company attract young people, and the ambulance company helps feed the Crew.

          Ida
          - Juniata Valley Council