Revised Outdoor Webelos Training

  • Nina Wolfson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2007
      The current Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders is available from
      scoutstuff.org. (Our Council rarely stocks training material). It's a 2005
      printing numbered 13-33640.

      It's forcing us to reconsider how to hold the Outdoor Training. The last
      couple of years, we've conducted OWL and Baloo in the same location as
      ITOLS, coming together for a few of the sessions. When Baloo finished, the
      Webelos leaders would stick around and the remainder of the afternoon
      through Sunday morning focused on OWL. This new course is more aligned with
      ITOLS (and even has suggested schedules for combining resources) but is now
      more distinct from Baloo. We (our district) won't be using the new syllabus
      until the spring training.

      Today, the new syllabus will be offered in the Council for the first time
      during a Webelos 'mini-camp' weekend. Hopefully, feedback will be shared.

      I wish they had not printed the text for this new course in green. It makes
      it difficult to get decent copies (which is why the pdf versions we've seen
      posted have been so 'hazy').

      Nina Wolfson

      Tacachale District Training Chair

      Gulf Ridge Council, FL

    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 18, 2007
        Nina,

        I've been catching up on my training inbox....

        Personally, I think the new OWL sylabus is not a LOT different from the old one. I also think they are trying to do someting that is NOT explained.

        They have topics that run for x minutes together and then an additional x minutes for Webelos only - without explaining what is covered in each....

        For example, they have 20 minutes for fire site preparation (combined) and an additional 20 minutes for Webelos only.... I can't imagine what I'd cover in the Webelos 20 minutes that was different than I'd cover for everyone.

        I've been running OWL and BALOO together - it is working. There are topics that fit together well (tents, campsite selection, etc.)and things that SHOULD be broken apart (most of the program stuff). We have meals together. The Webelos Outdoor Program section and "Aims and Purposes" cover essentially the same material.

        I'm having a "campout option" for the BALOO folks this spring. They can go home late in the afternoon or stay over, join the Webelos for dinner, the campfire & morning service.

        For the Boys,
        Brant

        Nina Wolfson <nwolfson@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links