Re: [Scouter_T] Online NLE coming!

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
      The Pack Trainer Award was very poorly introduced.

      The award should have been trumpeted in the "What's New" section
      of Scouting in the September issue, and backed up with the bin item
      sheet, since very few people have much access to bin items, and even
      less chance of seeing them.

      Dave

      Gerry Moon wrote:
      > Also, it has a piece on the Pack Trainer Award - personally,
      > I was beginning to think this was a scam. The
      > first whispers came about last summer, and I had seen nothing
      > published about it from National. I did locate a bin number that
      > checked out (my DE got me a copy of it last fall), but it's been
      > really strange that something came into effect in September and
      > nothing was put out publicly (at least within the boundaries of my
      > world) until January.
      >

      > Gerry Moon
      > Orlando, FL

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
        > Check out this month's "Scouting Magazine"
        > issue...it makes note of
        > New Leader Essentials being developed as an online
        > course, targeted for release mid-year.

        I don't know that it will change things very much,
        except perhaps to help reach the somewhat time harried
        or the only mildly interested folks. Trained leaders
        who enjoyed their training experiences will likely
        still tell the new folk that the live courses were
        worth their time to attend and encourage the new folks
        to do the same (people liking to stay in their comfort
        zones and all that.) Those who are not big on
        training aren't likely to investigate a new access
        point. As for those masses in the middle, I guess it
        sorta depends on who they have their first parking lot
        roundtable with, lol.

        Locally, Safe Swim and Safety Afloat have continued to
        be offered on a very regular basis throughout the year
        and at camp, just like the courses were offered prior
        to the online versions going live.

        We have some districts still doing Fast Start live,
        though admittedly not all of the districts, but I
        don't think that's really very different than before
        the online courses became available.

        It'll be interesting to see what the online version
        offers. I can see some potential benefit to sending
        the new and interested, but yet a tad fearful, Cub
        adult home from the registration night with a card
        bearing the url as being a step up from the more
        traditional " thanks for signing up, and don't worry,
        there's a training course in just a few weeks." Of
        coruse, I can also see marginal existing leaders
        mumble something about "go google New Leader Training
        and click through it and get a card and yer done, it
        ain't nuttin' but a thang."

        On the Pack Trainer award and knot, as I recall the
        tenure start date for the award was a hard start date
        of Sept 1, 2006. That doesn't seem all that far back
        for it to now be showing in an official mag
        publication, and as you noted, it's been available as
        a bin item for a spell.

        Like some other things though, the PT award and knot
        news spread amongst the volunteers fairly rapidly
        right after the first green light, well before the
        formal start date of 9/1/06, so from first word, yeah,
        it has been a while at that I suppose.

        Although national council makes some use of the net,
        and far more today than just a few years back, the
        bulk of formal announcements and subsequent
        distribution is still done offline via a much older
        process. I don't see that undergoing a major change,
        just like I don't see volunteers electing to hold back
        on news when they have it. And the world spins on.
        8^)

        Kevin in Norman, America

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • JWoughter
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
          Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?

          Thanks ...

          John Woughter
          Pack/Troop 56
          Bonn, GE
        • JNDunnMN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
            BIN items are "freebie" handouts, versus the literature we have to pay for at the Scout shop. The item numbers are hyphenated, the other literature item numbers are not. Examples of BIN items include the "fact sheets" and other literature posted on the National Council, or your council's web site.

            http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-502.html (here's an example)

            YiS,
            Jamie Dunn
            Pack Trainer
            P. 512
            Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
            Cub Scout Training Chair
            Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
            3 Rivers District

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
              While Jamie pretty much hit the nail on the head, other
              disadvantages of bin items is that they are not cataloged in any
              publication normally available to us in the field, so we can't look up
              somewhere and find all of the bin items that pertain to training, or Cub
              Scouting. While they can be ordered from the National Supply Service in
              North Carolina, 1 800 323 0732 for free, you still have to know the
              number of the item, and may have to pay postage from NC. n.b. If your
              council is charging for these free items, it is probably to help defray
              the cost of mailing them out to the councils.

              Having said this, I have yet to receive the 2006 Scouting Library
              of Literature, # 70-080C, itself a bin item, which I have had on order
              from the NSS since June. This lists all of the regular Scouting
              publications, and their publication date, so you can tell the currency
              of your various manuals and training syllabii. For some reason they did
              not seem to publish this catalog this year.

              Sorry for the confusion,

              Dave

              JWoughter wrote:
              > Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?
              >
              > Thanks ...
              >
              > John Woughter
              > Pack/Troop 56
              > Bonn, GE

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
              Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
            • Michael Crothers
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                Yours In Scouting

                Mike Crothers
                ADC
                Camarillo District
                Ventura County Council
                and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
                and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                --

                Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet @...

                245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342

                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                <!--

                #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                #ygrp-text{
                font-family:Georgia;
                }
                #ygrp-text p{
                margin:0 0 1em 0;
                }
                #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                font-family:Arial;
                clear:both;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav{
                padding-top:10px;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-vitnav a{
                padding:0 1px;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar{
                clear:both;
                margin:25px 0;
                white-space:nowrap;
                color:#666;
                text-align:right;
                }
                #ygrp-actbar .left{
                float:left;
                white-space:nowrap;
                }
                .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                #ygrp-grft{
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                padding:15px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-ft{
                font-family:verdana;
                font-size:77%;
                border-top:1px solid #666;
                padding:5px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                padding-bottom:10px;
                }

                #ygrp-vital{
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                font-size:77%;
                font-family:Verdana;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#333;
                text-transform:uppercase;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul{
                padding:0;
                margin:2px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li{
                list-style-type:none;
                clear:both;
                border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#ff7900;
                float:right;
                width:2em;
                text-align:right;
                padding-right:.5em;
                }
                #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                font-weight:bold;
                }
                #ygrp-vital a {
                text-decoration:none;
                }

                #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }

                #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                color:#999;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                padding:6px 13px;
                background-color:#e0ecee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                padding:0 0 0 8px;
                margin:0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                list-style-type:square;
                padding:6px 0;
                font-size:77%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                text-decoration:none;
                font-size:130%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                background-color:#eee;
                margin-bottom:20px;
                padding:0 8px;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                padding:8px 0;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                font-family:Arial;
                font-weight:bold;
                color:#628c2a;
                font-size:100%;
                line-height:122%;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                text-decoration:none;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                text-decoration:underline;
                }
                #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                margin:0;
                }
                o {font-size:0;}
                .MsoNormal {
                margin:0 0 0 0;
                }
                #ygrp-text tt{
                font-size:120%;
                }
                blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                .replbq {margin:4;}
                -->

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                  If you don't mind I would love a copy thanks in advance
                  YIS
                  Kris
                  From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
                  > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.
                  >
                  > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you
                  >
                  > Yours In Scouting
                  >
                  > Mike Crothers
                  > ADC
                  > Camarillo District
                  > Ventura County Council
                  > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                • Michael Crothers

                    From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@yahoo. com>

                    > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                    > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                    > Yours In Scouting

                    > Mike Crothers

                    > ADC

                    > Camarillo District

[...]