RE: [Scouter_T] Online NLE coming!

  • David Brown
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
      I though the same until the new Insignia Guide came out and PT Knot was on
      the back of it�

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
        The Pack Trainer Award was very poorly introduced.

        The award should have been trumpeted in the "What's New" section
        of Scouting in the September issue, and backed up with the bin item
        sheet, since very few people have much access to bin items, and even
        less chance of seeing them.

        Dave

        Gerry Moon wrote:
        > Also, it has a piece on the Pack Trainer Award - personally,
        > I was beginning to think this was a scam. The
        > first whispers came about last summer, and I had seen nothing
        > published about it from National. I did locate a bin number that
        > checked out (my DE got me a copy of it last fall), but it's been
        > really strange that something came into effect in September and
        > nothing was put out publicly (at least within the boundaries of my
        > world) until January.
        >

        > Gerry Moon
        > Orlando, FL

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
        Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
      • Kevin Pate
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
          > Check out this month's "Scouting Magazine"
          > issue...it makes note of
          > New Leader Essentials being developed as an online
          > course, targeted for release mid-year.

          I don't know that it will change things very much,
          except perhaps to help reach the somewhat time harried
          or the only mildly interested folks. Trained leaders
          who enjoyed their training experiences will likely
          still tell the new folk that the live courses were
          worth their time to attend and encourage the new folks
          to do the same (people liking to stay in their comfort
          zones and all that.) Those who are not big on
          training aren't likely to investigate a new access
          point. As for those masses in the middle, I guess it
          sorta depends on who they have their first parking lot
          roundtable with, lol.

          Locally, Safe Swim and Safety Afloat have continued to
          be offered on a very regular basis throughout the year
          and at camp, just like the courses were offered prior
          to the online versions going live.

          We have some districts still doing Fast Start live,
          though admittedly not all of the districts, but I
          don't think that's really very different than before
          the online courses became available.

          It'll be interesting to see what the online version
          offers. I can see some potential benefit to sending
          the new and interested, but yet a tad fearful, Cub
          adult home from the registration night with a card
          bearing the url as being a step up from the more
          traditional " thanks for signing up, and don't worry,
          there's a training course in just a few weeks." Of
          coruse, I can also see marginal existing leaders
          mumble something about "go google New Leader Training
          and click through it and get a card and yer done, it
          ain't nuttin' but a thang."

          On the Pack Trainer award and knot, as I recall the
          tenure start date for the award was a hard start date
          of Sept 1, 2006. That doesn't seem all that far back
          for it to now be showing in an official mag
          publication, and as you noted, it's been available as
          a bin item for a spell.

          Like some other things though, the PT award and knot
          news spread amongst the volunteers fairly rapidly
          right after the first green light, well before the
          formal start date of 9/1/06, so from first word, yeah,
          it has been a while at that I suppose.

          Although national council makes some use of the net,
          and far more today than just a few years back, the
          bulk of formal announcements and subsequent
          distribution is still done offline via a much older
          process. I don't see that undergoing a major change,
          just like I don't see volunteers electing to hold back
          on news when they have it. And the world spins on.
          8^)

          Kevin in Norman, America

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • JWoughter
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
            Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?

            Thanks ...

            John Woughter
            Pack/Troop 56
            Bonn, GE
          • JNDunnMN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
              BIN items are "freebie" handouts, versus the literature we have to pay for at the Scout shop. The item numbers are hyphenated, the other literature item numbers are not. Examples of BIN items include the "fact sheets" and other literature posted on the National Council, or your council's web site.

              http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-502.html (here's an example)

              YiS,
              Jamie Dunn
              Pack Trainer
              P. 512
              Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
              Cub Scout Training Chair
              Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
              3 Rivers District

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                While Jamie pretty much hit the nail on the head, other
                disadvantages of bin items is that they are not cataloged in any
                publication normally available to us in the field, so we can't look up
                somewhere and find all of the bin items that pertain to training, or Cub
                Scouting. While they can be ordered from the National Supply Service in
                North Carolina, 1 800 323 0732 for free, you still have to know the
                number of the item, and may have to pay postage from NC. n.b. If your
                council is charging for these free items, it is probably to help defray
                the cost of mailing them out to the councils.

                Having said this, I have yet to receive the 2006 Scouting Library
                of Literature, # 70-080C, itself a bin item, which I have had on order
                from the NSS since June. This lists all of the regular Scouting
                publications, and their publication date, so you can tell the currency
                of your various manuals and training syllabii. For some reason they did
                not seem to publish this catalog this year.

                Sorry for the confusion,

                Dave

                JWoughter wrote:
                > Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?
                >
                > Thanks ...
                >
                > John Woughter
                > Pack/Troop 56
                > Bonn, GE

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
              • Michael Crothers
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                  I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                  Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                  Yours In Scouting

                  Mike Crothers
                  ADC
                  Camarillo District
                  Ventura County Council
                  and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
                  and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                  --

                  Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet @...

                  245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342

                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  padding-top:10px;
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  clear:both;
                  margin:25px 0;
                  white-space:nowrap;
                  color:#666;
                  text-align:right;
                  }
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;
                  white-space:nowrap;
                  }
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  padding:15px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  font-family:verdana;
                  font-size:77%;
                  border-top:1px solid #666;
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;
                  }

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  font-size:77%;
                  font-family:Verdana;
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#333;
                  text-transform:uppercase;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;
                  margin:2px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  list-style-type:none;
                  clear:both;
                  border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#ff7900;
                  float:right;
                  width:2em;
                  text-align:right;
                  padding-right:.5em;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital a {
                  text-decoration:none;
                  }

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;
                  }

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;
                  font-size:77%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  padding:6px 13px;
                  background-color:#e0ecee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  list-style-type:square;
                  padding:6px 0;
                  font-size:77%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;
                  font-size:130%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                  background-color:#eee;
                  margin-bottom:20px;
                  padding:0 8px;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  font-weight:bold;
                  color:#628c2a;
                  font-size:100%;
                  line-height:122%;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;
                  }
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;
                  }
                  o {font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal {
                  margin:0 0 0 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;
                  }
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq {margin:4;}
                  -->

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                    If you don't mind I would love a copy thanks in advance
                    YIS
                    Kris
                    From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
                    > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.
                    >
                    > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you
                    >
                    > Yours In Scouting
                    >
                    > Mike Crothers
                    > ADC
                    > Camarillo District
                    > Ventura County Council
                    > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                  • Michael Crothers

                      From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@yahoo. com>

                      > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                      > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                      > Yours In Scouting

                      > Mike Crothers

                      > ADC

                      > Camarillo District

[...]