Online NLE coming!

  • Gerry Moon
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
      Check out this month's "Scouting Magazine" issue...it makes note of
      New Leader Essentials being developed as an online course, targeted
      for release mid-year. Also, it has a piece on the Pack Trainer
      Award - personally, I was beginning to think this was a scam. The
      first whispers came about last summer, and I had seen nothing
      published about it from National. I did locate a bin number that
      checked out (my DE got me a copy of it last fall), but it's been
      really strange that something came into effect in September and
      nothing was put out publicly (at least within the boundaries of my
      world) until January.

      Anyway, now it's time to rethink our Cub Scout training plans and
      see how we as trainers will work the online course into our training
      schedules. Will we continue to offer NLE in classroom sessions (I'd
      hope so!)? I guess the numbers will tell the tale - when we start
      having attendance drop at our NLE sessions, and those Position
      Specifics class students showing up with the NLE certificate in
      hand, I guess that'll tell the tale. I don't plan to make any
      modifications to our next year's trainings at this point - but it's
      something to ponder. I'm also wondering if we'll EVER see an updated
      set of NLE/PST videos on DVD....

      Gerry Moon
      Orlando, FL
    • David Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
        I though the same until the new Insignia Guide came out and PT Knot was on
        the back of it�

        _____

[...]

        2:50 PM

      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
          The Pack Trainer Award was very poorly introduced.

          The award should have been trumpeted in the "What's New" section
          of Scouting in the September issue, and backed up with the bin item
          sheet, since very few people have much access to bin items, and even
          less chance of seeing them.

          Dave

          Gerry Moon wrote:
          > Also, it has a piece on the Pack Trainer Award - personally,
          > I was beginning to think this was a scam. The
          > first whispers came about last summer, and I had seen nothing
          > published about it from National. I did locate a bin number that
          > checked out (my DE got me a copy of it last fall), but it's been
          > really strange that something came into effect in September and
          > nothing was put out publicly (at least within the boundaries of my
          > world) until January.
          >

          > Gerry Moon
          > Orlando, FL

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 2, 2007
            > Check out this month's "Scouting Magazine"
            > issue...it makes note of
            > New Leader Essentials being developed as an online
            > course, targeted for release mid-year.

            I don't know that it will change things very much,
            except perhaps to help reach the somewhat time harried
            or the only mildly interested folks. Trained leaders
            who enjoyed their training experiences will likely
            still tell the new folk that the live courses were
            worth their time to attend and encourage the new folks
            to do the same (people liking to stay in their comfort
            zones and all that.) Those who are not big on
            training aren't likely to investigate a new access
            point. As for those masses in the middle, I guess it
            sorta depends on who they have their first parking lot
            roundtable with, lol.

            Locally, Safe Swim and Safety Afloat have continued to
            be offered on a very regular basis throughout the year
            and at camp, just like the courses were offered prior
            to the online versions going live.

            We have some districts still doing Fast Start live,
            though admittedly not all of the districts, but I
            don't think that's really very different than before
            the online courses became available.

            It'll be interesting to see what the online version
            offers. I can see some potential benefit to sending
            the new and interested, but yet a tad fearful, Cub
            adult home from the registration night with a card
            bearing the url as being a step up from the more
            traditional " thanks for signing up, and don't worry,
            there's a training course in just a few weeks." Of
            coruse, I can also see marginal existing leaders
            mumble something about "go google New Leader Training
            and click through it and get a card and yer done, it
            ain't nuttin' but a thang."

            On the Pack Trainer award and knot, as I recall the
            tenure start date for the award was a hard start date
            of Sept 1, 2006. That doesn't seem all that far back
            for it to now be showing in an official mag
            publication, and as you noted, it's been available as
            a bin item for a spell.

            Like some other things though, the PT award and knot
            news spread amongst the volunteers fairly rapidly
            right after the first green light, well before the
            formal start date of 9/1/06, so from first word, yeah,
            it has been a while at that I suppose.

            Although national council makes some use of the net,
            and far more today than just a few years back, the
            bulk of formal announcements and subsequent
            distribution is still done offline via a much older
            process. I don't see that undergoing a major change,
            just like I don't see volunteers electing to hold back
            on news when they have it. And the world spins on.
            8^)

            Kevin in Norman, America

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • JWoughter
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
              Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?

              Thanks ...

              John Woughter
              Pack/Troop 56
              Bonn, GE
            • JNDunnMN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 3, 2007
                BIN items are "freebie" handouts, versus the literature we have to pay for at the Scout shop. The item numbers are hyphenated, the other literature item numbers are not. Examples of BIN items include the "fact sheets" and other literature posted on the National Council, or your council's web site.

                http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-502.html (here's an example)

                YiS,
                Jamie Dunn
                Pack Trainer
                P. 512
                Blaine/Coon Rapids, MN
                Cub Scout Training Chair
                Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioner
                3 Rivers District

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                  While Jamie pretty much hit the nail on the head, other
                  disadvantages of bin items is that they are not cataloged in any
                  publication normally available to us in the field, so we can't look up
                  somewhere and find all of the bin items that pertain to training, or Cub
                  Scouting. While they can be ordered from the National Supply Service in
                  North Carolina, 1 800 323 0732 for free, you still have to know the
                  number of the item, and may have to pay postage from NC. n.b. If your
                  council is charging for these free items, it is probably to help defray
                  the cost of mailing them out to the councils.

                  Having said this, I have yet to receive the 2006 Scouting Library
                  of Literature, # 70-080C, itself a bin item, which I have had on order
                  from the NSS since June. This lists all of the regular Scouting
                  publications, and their publication date, so you can tell the currency
                  of your various manuals and training syllabii. For some reason they did
                  not seem to publish this catalog this year.

                  Sorry for the confusion,

                  Dave

                  JWoughter wrote:
                  > Anybody out there mind telling us newbies what a bin item sheet is?
                  >
                  > Thanks ...
                  >
                  > John Woughter
                  > Pack/Troop 56
                  > Bonn, GE

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
                  Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                • Michael Crothers
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                    I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                    Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                    Yours In Scouting

                    Mike Crothers
                    ADC
                    Camarillo District
                    Ventura County Council
                    and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13
                    and I used to be a good old Fox WE4-57-06

                    --

                    Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet @...

                    245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342

                    Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                    <!--

                    #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                    #ygrp-text{
                    font-family:Georgia;
                    }
                    #ygrp-text p{
                    margin:0 0 1em 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                    font-family:Arial;
                    clear:both;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vitnav{
                    padding-top:10px;
                    font-family:Verdana;
                    font-size:77%;
                    margin:0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vitnav a{
                    padding:0 1px;
                    }
                    #ygrp-actbar{
                    clear:both;
                    margin:25px 0;
                    white-space:nowrap;
                    color:#666;
                    text-align:right;
                    }
                    #ygrp-actbar .left{
                    float:left;
                    white-space:nowrap;
                    }
                    .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                    #ygrp-grft{
                    font-family:Verdana;
                    font-size:77%;
                    padding:15px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-ft{
                    font-family:verdana;
                    font-size:77%;
                    border-top:1px solid #666;
                    padding:5px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                    padding-bottom:10px;
                    }

                    #ygrp-vital{
                    background-color:#e0ecee;
                    margin-bottom:20px;
                    padding:2px 0 8px 8px;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                    font-size:77%;
                    font-family:Verdana;
                    font-weight:bold;
                    color:#333;
                    text-transform:uppercase;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul{
                    padding:0;
                    margin:2px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li{
                    list-style-type:none;
                    clear:both;
                    border:1px solid #e0ecee;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                    font-weight:bold;
                    color:#ff7900;
                    float:right;
                    width:2em;
                    text-align:right;
                    padding-right:.5em;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                    font-weight:bold;
                    }
                    #ygrp-vital a {
                    text-decoration:none;
                    }

                    #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;
                    }

                    #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                    color:#999;
                    font-size:77%;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                    padding:6px 13px;
                    background-color:#e0ecee;
                    margin-bottom:20px;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                    padding:0 0 0 8px;
                    margin:0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                    list-style-type:square;
                    padding:6px 0;
                    font-size:77%;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                    text-decoration:none;
                    font-size:130%;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor #nc {
                    background-color:#eee;
                    margin-bottom:20px;
                    padding:0 8px;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                    padding:8px 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                    font-family:Arial;
                    font-weight:bold;
                    color:#628c2a;
                    font-size:100%;
                    line-height:122%;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                    text-decoration:none;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                    text-decoration:underline;
                    }
                    #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                    margin:0;
                    }
                    o {font-size:0;}
                    .MsoNormal {
                    margin:0 0 0 0;
                    }
                    #ygrp-text tt{
                    font-size:120%;
                    }
                    blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                    .replbq {margin:4;}
                    -->

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 4, 2007
                      If you don't mind I would love a copy thanks in advance
                      YIS
                      Kris
                      From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@...>
                      > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.
                      >
                      > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you
                      >
                      > Yours In Scouting
                      >
                      > Mike Crothers
                      > ADC
                      > Camarillo District
                      > Ventura County Council
                      > and a good old staffer too NE-CS-13

                    • Michael Crothers

                        From: Michael Crothers <dowrightbw@yahoo. com>

                        > I have a listing a DE said was the latest, but I don't think it is complete.

                        > Anyone who would like a copy, just e-mail me and I will send it to you

                        > Yours In Scouting

                        > Mike Crothers

                        > ADC

                        > Camarillo District

[...]