Re: Using Commissioners to train Scouters

  • Gerry Moon
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
      Okay, my two cents. I believe that training should NOT be relegated
      to Commissioners - and in the same breath, I also believe that
      Commissioners are probably more qualified to train that any of us. I
      have Commissioners on my training team that, frankly, I couldn't
      live without. I'm one myself, holding both UC and RT Staff
      positions, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm very much a Cub
      Scout. So - I agree with Dave in that Commissioners are great
      candidates for trainers, and I agree with John that it's not their
      responsibility to provide training.

      Training requires more than just experience and knowledge of the
      subject - even more so when we are thinking Cub training. You have
      to think Cub Scouts, act Cub Scouts, sell Cub Scouts to apprehensive
      and reluctant adults at first. Not so much once you move into Boy
      Scout training...but Cub trainers need to not only deliver the info
      but do it in a fun, non-intimidating way to hook these new parents
      and get them to step into the water.

      Gerry Moon
      Orlando, FL

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis
      <dloomis.nh.ultranet@...> wrote:

      > Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs.
      Commissioners
      > should staff training courses.
      >
      > My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a
      chance to
      > meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they
      are
      > passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the
      folks who
      > know the material, experts to whom you can go for good
      information. And
      > it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really
      is, not
      > as she was a few years ago when they got trained.
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > John Halter wrote:
      > > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
      > > staffers/Commissioners.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > John Halter
      > > District Commissioner
      > >

      > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
      > 245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
      > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

    • Don Wilson
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
        Ditto, Gerry.

        At a recent Commissioner's meeting the District Commissioner told the
        Unit Commissioner to make lists for their units of leaders trained
        and not trained, and then to insure that the entrained leaders get to
        the next training, and even suggested that the Unit Commissioner do
        the training if necessary. The District Director (one step above
        Senior District Executive) sat on his backside and never said a word.
        As the meeting ended I took the DD to task advising him that with a
        Commissioner staff keeping up with training, he would not need a
        Training Chair.

        Unit Commissioners have specified duties, one of which is to
        encourage leaders be trained, and meets with the Unit Committee
        during which the subject of training should be discussed.

        While the District Training Chair, I made person-to-person contact
        with every direct contact leader in the District, all units. I
        recorded the training that each had received and shared that
        information with the Council Registrar. Information was entered into
        the Council records. Regrettably, when the data was uploaded to
        ScoutNet 2,000, ALL training information was lost. I passed the
        notebook to my replacement, and it was never utilized, much less kept
        up-to-date. With any luck (OK, some sort of miracle) the new
        District Training Chair will be able to completely update leader
        training records.

        Don Wilson
        OHC 427+