Using Commissioners to train Scouters

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
      Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs. Commissioners
      should staff training courses.

      My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a chance to
      meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they are
      passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the folks who
      know the material, experts to whom you can go for good information. And
      it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really is, not
      as she was a few years ago when they got trained.

      Dave

      John Halter wrote:
      > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
      > staffers/Commissioners.
      >
      > Thank you,
      >
      > John Halter
      > District Commissioner

      245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Gerry Moon
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
        Okay, my two cents. I believe that training should NOT be relegated
        to Commissioners - and in the same breath, I also believe that
        Commissioners are probably more qualified to train that any of us. I
        have Commissioners on my training team that, frankly, I couldn't
        live without. I'm one myself, holding both UC and RT Staff
        positions, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm very much a Cub
        Scout. So - I agree with Dave in that Commissioners are great
        candidates for trainers, and I agree with John that it's not their
        responsibility to provide training.

        Training requires more than just experience and knowledge of the
        subject - even more so when we are thinking Cub training. You have
        to think Cub Scouts, act Cub Scouts, sell Cub Scouts to apprehensive
        and reluctant adults at first. Not so much once you move into Boy
        Scout training...but Cub trainers need to not only deliver the info
        but do it in a fun, non-intimidating way to hook these new parents
        and get them to step into the water.

        Gerry Moon
        Orlando, FL

        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis
        <dloomis.nh.ultranet@...> wrote:

        > Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs.
        Commissioners
        > should staff training courses.
        >
        > My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a
        chance to
        > meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they
        are
        > passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the
        folks who
        > know the material, experts to whom you can go for good
        information. And
        > it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really
        is, not
        > as she was a few years ago when they got trained.
        >
        > Dave
        >
        > John Halter wrote:
        > > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
        > > staffers/Commissioners.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > John Halter
        > > District Commissioner
        > >

        > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
        > 245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
        > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
          Ditto, Gerry.

          At a recent Commissioner's meeting the District Commissioner told the
          Unit Commissioner to make lists for their units of leaders trained
          and not trained, and then to insure that the entrained leaders get to
          the next training, and even suggested that the Unit Commissioner do
          the training if necessary. The District Director (one step above
          Senior District Executive) sat on his backside and never said a word.
          As the meeting ended I took the DD to task advising him that with a
          Commissioner staff keeping up with training, he would not need a
          Training Chair.

          Unit Commissioners have specified duties, one of which is to
          encourage leaders be trained, and meets with the Unit Committee
          during which the subject of training should be discussed.

          While the District Training Chair, I made person-to-person contact
          with every direct contact leader in the District, all units. I
          recorded the training that each had received and shared that
          information with the Council Registrar. Information was entered into
          the Council records. Regrettably, when the data was uploaded to
          ScoutNet 2,000, ALL training information was lost. I passed the
          notebook to my replacement, and it was never utilized, much less kept
          up-to-date. With any luck (OK, some sort of miracle) the new
          District Training Chair will be able to completely update leader
          training records.

          Don Wilson
          OHC 427+