Re: Training Conducted at RT.

  • Scouter Chuck
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
      I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
      "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
      out of these replies.

      This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
      was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
      replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
      for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
      eating a bowl of the cereal.

      A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
      work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
      shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
      sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
      thinks he's "the cat's meow".

      I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
      held training that involves truncating a much longer course.

      I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
      -- Stephen R. Covey
    • John Halter
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
        I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
        staffers/Commissioners. I agree that training is important, but if
        training is needed that badly, your training chair should be holding
        extra sessions to get the leaders trained. If the leaders are not able
        to make it to the normal Saturday training sessions, set up a few non-RT
        night training sessions. Training is still a function of the District
        Committee. What did your Program chair have to say? What do your RT
        Commissioners and DC think about your DE's statement? BTW, nice come
        back with commercial reference.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        District Commissioner
        Wekiwa District
        Central FL Council, B.S.A.
        www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
        "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        Wekiwa is an Indian word that means "spring of water"

        Scouter Chuck wrote:

        > I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
        > "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
        > out of these replies.
        >
        > This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
        > was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
        > replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
        > for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
        > eating a bowl of the cereal.
        >
        > A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
        > work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
        > shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
        > sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
        > thinks he's "the cat's meow".
        >
        > I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
        > held training that involves truncating a much longer course.
        >
        > YiS,
        >
        > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...
        > <mailto:antelope95%40cox.net>
        > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
        > Committee Member at Large, Roundtable Staff -- Member DNRC
      • Dave Loomis
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
          Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs. Commissioners
          should staff training courses.

          My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a chance to
          meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they are
          passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the folks who
          know the material, experts to whom you can go for good information. And
          it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really is, not
          as she was a few years ago when they got trained.

          Dave

          John Halter wrote:
          > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
          > staffers/Commissioners.
          >
          > Thank you,
          >
          > John Halter
          > District Commissioner

          245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
          Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
        • Gerry Moon
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
            Okay, my two cents. I believe that training should NOT be relegated
            to Commissioners - and in the same breath, I also believe that
            Commissioners are probably more qualified to train that any of us. I
            have Commissioners on my training team that, frankly, I couldn't
            live without. I'm one myself, holding both UC and RT Staff
            positions, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm very much a Cub
            Scout. So - I agree with Dave in that Commissioners are great
            candidates for trainers, and I agree with John that it's not their
            responsibility to provide training.

            Training requires more than just experience and knowledge of the
            subject - even more so when we are thinking Cub training. You have
            to think Cub Scouts, act Cub Scouts, sell Cub Scouts to apprehensive
            and reluctant adults at first. Not so much once you move into Boy
            Scout training...but Cub trainers need to not only deliver the info
            but do it in a fun, non-intimidating way to hook these new parents
            and get them to step into the water.

            Gerry Moon
            Orlando, FL

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis
            <dloomis.nh.ultranet@...> wrote:

            > Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs.
            Commissioners
            > should staff training courses.
            >
            > My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a
            chance to
            > meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they
            are
            > passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the
            folks who
            > know the material, experts to whom you can go for good
            information. And
            > it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really
            is, not
            > as she was a few years ago when they got trained.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > John Halter wrote:
            > > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
            > > staffers/Commissioners.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > John Halter
            > > District Commissioner
            > >

            > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
            > 245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
            > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

          • Don Wilson
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
              Ditto, Gerry.

              At a recent Commissioner's meeting the District Commissioner told the
              Unit Commissioner to make lists for their units of leaders trained
              and not trained, and then to insure that the entrained leaders get to
              the next training, and even suggested that the Unit Commissioner do
              the training if necessary. The District Director (one step above
              Senior District Executive) sat on his backside and never said a word.
              As the meeting ended I took the DD to task advising him that with a
              Commissioner staff keeping up with training, he would not need a
              Training Chair.

              Unit Commissioners have specified duties, one of which is to
              encourage leaders be trained, and meets with the Unit Committee
              during which the subject of training should be discussed.

              While the District Training Chair, I made person-to-person contact
              with every direct contact leader in the District, all units. I
              recorded the training that each had received and shared that
              information with the Council Registrar. Information was entered into
              the Council records. Regrettably, when the data was uploaded to
              ScoutNet 2,000, ALL training information was lost. I passed the
              notebook to my replacement, and it was never utilized, much less kept
              up-to-date. With any luck (OK, some sort of miracle) the new
              District Training Chair will be able to completely update leader
              training records.

              Don Wilson
              OHC 427+