Re: [Scouter_T] Training Conducted at RT.

  • Dave Loomis
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
      I've offered Commissioner Basic Training during the breakout time
      at our Roundtables, but I ran the training over several meetings so that
      we could cover all of the information.

      Dave

      245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
    • Scouter Chuck
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
        I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
        "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
        out of these replies.

        This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
        was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
        replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
        for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
        eating a bowl of the cereal.

        A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
        work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
        shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
        sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
        thinks he's "the cat's meow".

        I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
        held training that involves truncating a much longer course.

        I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
        -- Stephen R. Covey
      • John Halter
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
          I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
          staffers/Commissioners. I agree that training is important, but if
          training is needed that badly, your training chair should be holding
          extra sessions to get the leaders trained. If the leaders are not able
          to make it to the normal Saturday training sessions, set up a few non-RT
          night training sessions. Training is still a function of the District
          Committee. What did your Program chair have to say? What do your RT
          Commissioners and DC think about your DE's statement? BTW, nice come
          back with commercial reference.

          Thank you,

          John Halter
          District Commissioner
          Wekiwa District
          Central FL Council, B.S.A.
          www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
          "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
          Wekiwa is an Indian word that means "spring of water"

          Scouter Chuck wrote:

          > I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
          > "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
          > out of these replies.
          >
          > This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
          > was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
          > replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
          > for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
          > eating a bowl of the cereal.
          >
          > A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
          > work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
          > shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
          > sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
          > thinks he's "the cat's meow".
          >
          > I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
          > held training that involves truncating a much longer course.
          >
          > YiS,
          >
          > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...
          > <mailto:antelope95%40cox.net>
          > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
          > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
          > Committee Member at Large, Roundtable Staff -- Member DNRC
        • Dave Loomis
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
            Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs. Commissioners
            should staff training courses.

            My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a chance to
            meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they are
            passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the folks who
            know the material, experts to whom you can go for good information. And
            it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really is, not
            as she was a few years ago when they got trained.

            Dave

            John Halter wrote:
            > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
            > staffers/Commissioners.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > John Halter
            > District Commissioner

            245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
            Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
          • Gerry Moon
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
              Okay, my two cents. I believe that training should NOT be relegated
              to Commissioners - and in the same breath, I also believe that
              Commissioners are probably more qualified to train that any of us. I
              have Commissioners on my training team that, frankly, I couldn't
              live without. I'm one myself, holding both UC and RT Staff
              positions, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm very much a Cub
              Scout. So - I agree with Dave in that Commissioners are great
              candidates for trainers, and I agree with John that it's not their
              responsibility to provide training.

              Training requires more than just experience and knowledge of the
              subject - even more so when we are thinking Cub training. You have
              to think Cub Scouts, act Cub Scouts, sell Cub Scouts to apprehensive
              and reluctant adults at first. Not so much once you move into Boy
              Scout training...but Cub trainers need to not only deliver the info
              but do it in a fun, non-intimidating way to hook these new parents
              and get them to step into the water.

              Gerry Moon
              Orlando, FL

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis
              <dloomis.nh.ultranet@...> wrote:

              > Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs.
              Commissioners
              > should staff training courses.
              >
              > My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a
              chance to
              > meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they
              are
              > passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the
              folks who
              > know the material, experts to whom you can go for good
              information. And
              > it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really
              is, not
              > as she was a few years ago when they got trained.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > John Halter wrote:
              > > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
              > > staffers/Commissioners.
              > >
              > > Thank you,
              > >
              > > John Halter
              > > District Commissioner
              > >

              > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
              > 245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
              > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

            • Don Wilson
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                Ditto, Gerry.

                At a recent Commissioner's meeting the District Commissioner told the
                Unit Commissioner to make lists for their units of leaders trained
                and not trained, and then to insure that the entrained leaders get to
                the next training, and even suggested that the Unit Commissioner do
                the training if necessary. The District Director (one step above
                Senior District Executive) sat on his backside and never said a word.
                As the meeting ended I took the DD to task advising him that with a
                Commissioner staff keeping up with training, he would not need a
                Training Chair.

                Unit Commissioners have specified duties, one of which is to
                encourage leaders be trained, and meets with the Unit Committee
                during which the subject of training should be discussed.

                While the District Training Chair, I made person-to-person contact
                with every direct contact leader in the District, all units. I
                recorded the training that each had received and shared that
                information with the Council Registrar. Information was entered into
                the Council records. Regrettably, when the data was uploaded to
                ScoutNet 2,000, ALL training information was lost. I passed the
                notebook to my replacement, and it was never utilized, much less kept
                up-to-date. With any luck (OK, some sort of miracle) the new
                District Training Chair will be able to completely update leader
                training records.

                Don Wilson
                OHC 427+