Re: Training Conducted at RT.

  • jonas4321
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote:

      > Is someone who took Troop Committee Challenge at RT trained to the
      > same level as someone who took a 3 hour course on one evening, or a
      > Sat. morning? Are they as well trained as one who took it as a 4.5
      > hour course, no matter when?
      >
      > If the course was designed as a 4-4.5 hour course, I don't think we
      > should be cutting the corners just to get it done within a shorter
      > time frame, like RT.

      Though this answer does not directly address your concern about
      compressing schedules to fit another activity (I share that concern),
      the Troop Committee Challenge course is designed to run 3 hours. The
      syllabus uses 6:30pm to 9:30pm as its timeframe of reference.

      I have been doing TCC for a few years and have done many (many)
      courses. I usually run this course at 3.5 hours, which includes a
      break, often for a meal like dinner, if the group I am doing the
      training for is so inclined. Any extra time (beyond the 3 hours) is
      often used for extending the Buzz Group discussion time, which always
      seems to spark the most discussion. I think that 3 hours without a
      break is a reasonable timeframe to hold this course in.

      4.5 hours for this syllabus would be making it a bit long, imo.

      Jonas

      ps- As an aside, TCC is a great example of a training I don't think
      could be served up online for an individual 'attendee'. The group
      interaction is integral to the materials.
    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
        barrythebluebear@... wrote:

        > Anybody, and I mean anybody, who thinks "Essentials"
        > can be taught at an 1.5 hour roundtable is a self-
        > admitted delusional personality that needs serious
        > counseling, possible a twelve-step program or
        > scouting rehab. They are doing harm by neglect.
        > They must stop it.

        Not to put too fine a point on things, but uh, pray
        tell, how much tiem beyond an hour and a half is
        necessary to teach a 90 minute trainng session 8^)

        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
        Access over 1 million songs.
        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      • John Halter
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
          I was wondering the same thing. It's funny that this topic came up here
          at this time. It was recently suggested by some scout leaders that we
          begin offering training at Round Table. I told them we would look into
          it and I can see where some things may be able to be covered, but first,
          we have to come up with a training team. I don't have a problem
          offering training, but I'm not going to sacrifice the RT program to do
          it and I'm not going to use the RT staff to do the training. Not
          everyone needs training, so for those that are not interested in going
          through it again, there needs to be the option of the regularly
          scheduled RT session. I could see offering NLE at RT, then offering the
          remaining training sessions either on the following weekend or broken up
          across a few weeknights.

          Thank you,

          John Halter
          District Commissioner
          Wekiwa District
          Central FL Council, B.S.A.
          www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
          "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
          ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
          Wekiwa is an Indian word that means "spring of water"

          Kevin Pate wrote:

          > Not to put too fine a point on things, but uh, pray
          > tell, how much tiem beyond an hour and a half is
          > necessary to teach a 90 minute trainng session 8^)
          >
          > .,___

        • Gerry Moon
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
            We tried it a couple years ago - offering NLE at Roundtable - and
            found it DO-ABLE but not ACCEPTABLE - in terms of not up to our
            training team's standards. We just put more than 90 minutes of
            videos and powerpoints into our NLE sessions. One thing we encourage
            is DIALOG - when we get the students to ask questions and talk, a
            whole lot more comes out and everyone sitting in benefits from that
            discussion. We don't stray far from the syllabus, mind you, but we
            do take the info a little deeper than the ink on the page.

            BTW, John and I are in the same council, different districts. I
            agree 100% with his reluctance to use RT staff to train - while in
            my district, a good portion of the RT straff ALSO trains, we don't
            mix the two - RT is a COMMISSIONER function and training falls under
            PROGRAM. When I staff Roundtable, I do so as a Commissioner, not as
            a trainer. I do promote Roundtable at training and I promote
            training at Roundtable.

            Roundtable is not the place to do training (in the purest of
            definition). Yes, I know that what we do at RT sure looks like
            training on the surface, especially right after school night, but
            the function there is to provide Unit Service in a group setting.
            There is no monthly Roundtable syllabus to teach from with learning
            objectives to achieve. Dragging training to RT in my view is not a
            very good idea at all. Likewise, offering training CONCURRENTLY with
            Roundtable makes them have to choose between the two - again, not
            such a great thing.

            Gerry Moon
            Orlando, FL

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, John Halter <john@...> wrote:

            > I was wondering the same thing. It's funny that this topic came
            up here
            > at this time. It was recently suggested by some scout leaders
            that we
            > begin offering training at Round Table. I told them we would look
            into
            > it and I can see where some things may be able to be covered, but
            first,
            > we have to come up with a training team. I don't have a problem
            > offering training, but I'm not going to sacrifice the RT program
            to do
            > it and I'm not going to use the RT staff to do the training. Not
            > everyone needs training, so for those that are not interested in
            going
            > through it again, there needs to be the option of the regularly
            > scheduled RT session. I could see offering NLE at RT, then
            offering the
            > remaining training sessions either on the following weekend or
            broken up
            > across a few weeknights.
            >
            > Thank you,
            >
            > John Halter
            > District Commissioner
            > Wekiwa District
            > Central FL Council, B.S.A.
            > www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
            > "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
            > ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
            > Wekiwa is an Indian word that means "spring of water"
            >

            > Kevin Pate wrote:
            > >

            > > Not to put too fine a point on things, but uh, pray
            > > tell, how much tiem beyond an hour and a half is
            > > necessary to teach a 90 minute trainng session 8^)
            > >
            > > .,___

          • Teresa Hall
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2006
              Well, I'll speak to the other side of the coin since I do offer one Cub
              Scout Leader Essential session at seven RTs each year. Just because I am
              holding a training session during RT does not mean that I expect to end the
              same time as RT. We start RT at 7:00, and the trainees stay for the opening
              ceremony. They are then adjourned into another room where the training
              lasts until 9:30 or 10:00pm. This is how it is advertised, so no one is
              surprised or inconvenienced. We generally train 7-10 people per month,
              compared to the 50 or 60 we get during our Saturday events. One month,
              instead of a Cub LST, we teach NLE as a RT breakout. This is marketed
              to folks who found RT training convenient at other times during the year,
              but is opened to anyone. We also make sure they know about NLE at the
              beginning of SMLST or other times it's offered during the year.

              So, while I agree that anyone who is condensing a Cub SLT to 1.5 hours is
              doing a grave disservice, please don't lump ALL folks offering CSLST during
              RT in that pile. It just ain't so! <smile>

              John Halter and Gerry Moon's comments about distracting from RT is relevent,
              too. In OUR instance (but not necessarily yours) we started this during a
              period of building Cub RTs, and with the full buy-in of the District
              Commissioner and the Cub RT Commissioner. Our Cub training had a very good
              reputation, but RT was more of an unknown to the leaders. Usually the
              people who come for training have never been to a RT. They get to see it,
              come for the early snack supper if they like, socialize a bit, get the RT
              handouts, and KNOW that there's fun they are missing! (Sometimes LST
              is even interrupted by a barrage of RT folks with marshmallow blowers or a
              visiting alligator!) We refer to it during the training as one of the best
              places to get continuing support for their position -- and now that they
              have actually seen it, they are not reluctant to come back. We've
              experienced RT growth from this. Your mileage may vary.

              YiS,
              Teresa Hall
              Vulcan District Cub Training Coordinator
              Past Vulcan Cub RT Commissioner
              Greater AL Council

            • Dave Loomis
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                I've offered Commissioner Basic Training during the breakout time
                at our Roundtables, but I ran the training over several meetings so that
                we could cover all of the information.

                Dave

                245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
                Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
              • Scouter Chuck
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2006
                  I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
                  "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
                  out of these replies.

                  This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
                  was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
                  replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
                  for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
                  eating a bowl of the cereal.

                  A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
                  work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
                  shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
                  sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
                  thinks he's "the cat's meow".

                  I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
                  held training that involves truncating a much longer course.

                  I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                  -- Stephen R. Covey
                • John Halter
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 6, 2006
                    I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
                    staffers/Commissioners. I agree that training is important, but if
                    training is needed that badly, your training chair should be holding
                    extra sessions to get the leaders trained. If the leaders are not able
                    to make it to the normal Saturday training sessions, set up a few non-RT
                    night training sessions. Training is still a function of the District
                    Committee. What did your Program chair have to say? What do your RT
                    Commissioners and DC think about your DE's statement? BTW, nice come
                    back with commercial reference.

                    Scouter Chuck wrote:

                    > I'd like to thank all of you for your responses so far. I'll have to
                    > "cook these down" a bit, and then will address some specific points
                    > out of these replies.
                    >
                    > This subject came up tonight at the District Committee Meeting, and I
                    > was told by our DE that any training is better than no training. I
                    > replied with the example of the commercial that is currently running
                    > for one cereal brand, where the teenage boy is shown in the back room
                    > eating a bowl of the cereal.
                    >
                    > A teenage girl comes back to tell him the boss wants him to get to
                    > work. The commercial shows her telling him the whole thing, then
                    > shows the same thing, with major portions of it blotted out by the
                    > sound of his chewing. She can't stand him, but her hears that she
                    > thinks he's "the cat's meow".
                    >
                    > I'm more than a bit worried that this is what will happen in any RT
                    > held training that involves truncating a much longer course.
                    >
                    > YiS,
                    >
                    > Chuck Bramlet -- Phoenix, Az. ----- mailto:antelope95@...
                    > <mailto:antelope95%40cox.net>
                    > I "used to be" an Antelope! -- WEM-10-95
                    > Thunderbird District -- Grand Canyon Council
                    > Committee Member at Large, Roundtable Staff -- Member DNRC
                  • Dave Loomis
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                      Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs. Commissioners
                      should staff training courses.

                      My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a chance to
                      meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they are
                      passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the folks who
                      know the material, experts to whom you can go for good information. And
                      it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really is, not
                      as she was a few years ago when they got trained.

                      Dave

                      John Halter wrote:
                      > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
                      > staffers/Commissioners.
                      >
                      > Thank you,
                      >
                      > John Halter
                      > District Commissioner

                      245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
                      Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349
                    • Gerry Moon
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                        Okay, my two cents. I believe that training should NOT be relegated
                        to Commissioners - and in the same breath, I also believe that
                        Commissioners are probably more qualified to train that any of us. I
                        have Commissioners on my training team that, frankly, I couldn't
                        live without. I'm one myself, holding both UC and RT Staff
                        positions, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm very much a Cub
                        Scout. So - I agree with Dave in that Commissioners are great
                        candidates for trainers, and I agree with John that it's not their
                        responsibility to provide training.

                        Training requires more than just experience and knowledge of the
                        subject - even more so when we are thinking Cub training. You have
                        to think Cub Scouts, act Cub Scouts, sell Cub Scouts to apprehensive
                        and reluctant adults at first. Not so much once you move into Boy
                        Scout training...but Cub trainers need to not only deliver the info
                        but do it in a fun, non-intimidating way to hook these new parents
                        and get them to step into the water.

                        Gerry Moon
                        Orlando, FL

                        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Dave Loomis
                        <dloomis.nh.ultranet@...> wrote:

                        > Now this gets into one of my personal beliefs.
                        Commissioners
                        > should staff training courses.
                        >
                        > My reasons are several. This gives the Commissioners a
                        chance to
                        > meet the trainees in a non-confrontational situation where they
                        are
                        > passing out good info. It shows the Commissioners off as the
                        folks who
                        > know the material, experts to whom you can go for good
                        information. And
                        > it keeps the Commissioners up to date on Scouting as she really
                        is, not
                        > as she was a few years ago when they got trained.
                        >
                        > Dave
                        >
                        > John Halter wrote:
                        > > I hope your DE is not trying to push training off onto your RT
                        > > staffers/Commissioners.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you,
                        > >
                        > > John Halter
                        > > District Commissioner
                        > >

                        > Dave Loomis mailto:dloomis.nh.ultranet@...
                        > 245 Union St.,# 4 603 431 5342
                        > Portsmouth, NH 03801-4349

                      • Don Wilson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 7, 2006
                          Ditto, Gerry.

                          At a recent Commissioner's meeting the District Commissioner told the
                          Unit Commissioner to make lists for their units of leaders trained
                          and not trained, and then to insure that the entrained leaders get to
                          the next training, and even suggested that the Unit Commissioner do
                          the training if necessary. The District Director (one step above
                          Senior District Executive) sat on his backside and never said a word.
                          As the meeting ended I took the DD to task advising him that with a
                          Commissioner staff keeping up with training, he would not need a
                          Training Chair.

                          Unit Commissioners have specified duties, one of which is to
                          encourage leaders be trained, and meets with the Unit Committee
                          during which the subject of training should be discussed.

                          While the District Training Chair, I made person-to-person contact
                          with every direct contact leader in the District, all units. I
                          recorded the training that each had received and shared that
                          information with the Council Registrar. Information was entered into
                          the Council records. Regrettably, when the data was uploaded to
                          ScoutNet 2,000, ALL training information was lost. I passed the
                          notebook to my replacement, and it was never utilized, much less kept
                          up-to-date. With any luck (OK, some sort of miracle) the new
                          District Training Chair will be able to completely update leader
                          training records.

                          Don Wilson
                          OHC 427+