RE: [Scouter_T] Re: Online Training

  • Matt Hannam
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 4, 2006
      Robert from reading your email it is evident to me that you share many of
      the same values as many of my friends in Rovering. Please check out the
      following website: www.usrovers.org <http://www.usrovers.org/> I would
      like to invite you to start your own Rover Scout Crew (adult Scouting) in
      your local area. The US Rovers is a growing organization which is dedicated
      to supporting Scouting units while educating Scout leaders in traditional
      skills while providing fellowship opportunities. The BSA does not offer
      enough traditional/Scouting skills trainings. We realize that skilled
      Scouters are made when they are given opportunities to practice skills
      beyond OLSI training.

      YIS,

      Matt Hannam

      Rover Scout Leader 2nd SWFL Rover Crew

      Crew Advisor - Crew 4 - Cape Coral, FL - SWFL Council

      BSA SWFL Council Panther District Training Chair

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2 7:36 AM
        Cross-post from Scouts-L that I thought would add some fuel to the
        discussion of online training or OLC. I have an opinion on this post and
        will share shortly.

        Steve Powell

        Longs Peak Council

        /////////////////////////////////////////////////

        Regarding online learning, I received this e-mail from an education list I
        am part of and thought I'd pass it along to share:

        Sloan-C's Effective Practices collection is a steadily growing work in

        progress that enables educators to share effective practices for teaching
        and

        learning online. The Sloan-C framework identifies five pillars as key
        principles

        for achieving quality, and to be included in the collection an effective

        practice must demonstrate evidence of effectiveness in these areas.

        The hallmarks of the quality pillars are:

        * Learning Effectiveness: The provider demonstrates that the quality

        of learning online is comparable to the quality of its traditional programs.

        * Cost Effectiveness and Institutional Commitment: Institutions

        continuously improve services while reducing cost.

        * Access: All learners who wish to learn online have the opportunity

        and can achieve success.

        * Faculty Satisfaction: Faculty achieve success with teaching online,

        citing appreciation and happiness.

        * Student Satisfaction: Students are successful in learning online and

        are pleased with their experience.

        To build and share emerging knowledge and to recognize excellence, practices

        nominated for inclusion in the Sloan-C collection meet these criteria:

        * Innovation - the practice is inventive or original.

        * Replicability - the practice can be implemented in a variety of

        learning environments.

        * Potential impact - the practice would advance the field if many

        adopted it.

        * Supporting documentation - the practice is supported with evidence

        of effectiveness.

        * Scope - the practice explains its relationship with other quality

        elements.

        View the Sloan-C Effective Practices at _www.sloan-c.org/effective_

        (http://mail.ccie.com/go/eed/1473).

        Learn more about Sloan-C at _www.sloan-c.org/index.asp_

        (http://www.sloan-c.org/index.asp)

        YIS,

        Mary Cooper

      • george Bruckjr
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3 5:36 AM
          I'm not sure how relevent this is, but I have seen
          ALOT of posts in a couple of groups about the online
          training and wanted to share my thoughts.

          Some subjects definitely require human interaction at
          least to some degree. I have taken several online
          college courses, and one thing I found is that they
          are more difficult to complete than taking a regular
          class at the local community college even though the
          curriculum is the same.

          The onus is on the individual to learn the material
          and it is difficult to ask questions....leading(at
          least in my case) to a very good understanding of the
          materials through having to study more. On the other
          hand, it was often frustrating compared to my in class
          courses where I could ask the instructor about thing
          which either confused me or just to clarify a point.

          I think that the online training is a good thing for
          some subjects, like youth protection, but perhaps not
          so much for things such as the unit committee
          challenge as I believe the whole committee or at least
          a majority should be together at the course.

          Perhaps the BSA needs to research somehow which
          subjects might be best served on the internet, which
          should stay as an in session training format, and
          which might benefit from a combination of some sort.

          Under any circumstance, theres no such thing as too
          much training, and the availability of the information
          we now have via internet is a boon to those of us who
          want to ensure the best programs possible for the
          kids.

          Just a couple of cents worth of opinion.

          Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
          in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.