A Centennial Recommendation

  • Steven R. Crawford
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      I would like to recommend the following to those of you who have the position and influence to effect such a change. I am posting it for reasons that I hope become obvious by the end of the proposal.

      UK Scouts conducted a major overhaul of Scouting in the years leading up to the Centennial next year and this involved a phased research and implementation approach over the last couple of years. Now we are approaching our Centennial and the BSA has already rolled out one new program that replaces the Quality Unit Program.

      Why not overhaul Training across the board?

      My recommendation is that a Task Force be established that would look at Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Varsity, and Venturing Leader Specific Training as a whole (not as separate task forces). The goal would be to establish a training program, with supporting materials, that could be delivered face-to-face, online, and as a "off line" self-study. In other words, we would need to think about training very different from how we are doing it today and realize that how we do training today may not be the most effective way to reach leaders and prepare them to deliver the Scouting program. This task force would also bring forth a new Trainer Development program and other supplemental programs.

      I think this task force needs to have a broad base for input. One that should provide at least the opportunity for every Council Training Chair to be involved and to involve their committee (it might only be via email, phone conference, and surveys). I also think the task force should include training professionals, specifically instructional designers and trainers.

      By 2010, we could roll out a "new" training continuum that is designed to engage our leaders and deliver the skills they need to deliver the Scouting program using various methods that are specifically designed to work.

      --
      Steven R. Crawford