youth protection

  • donna_ragusa
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
      Hi Everyone-

      Is there a 5-year policy in youth protection where scouts cannot bunk
      with other scouts 5 years younger because of possiblity of abuse by
      the older boy? I thought I remember this being part of the YPT leader
      training. Also, isn't there a clear policy where boy scouts cannot
      bunk with webelos for the same reason? Have a friend in a troop whose
      leadership can't seem to use common sense and they have a problem with
      older boys abusing and hazing (although they don't call it hazing,
      just boys having fun).

      Thank you,

      Donna Ragusa
      Cub Training Co-ordinator
      4Rivers, WPCBSA
    • JNDunnMN@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2006
        Donna - I think what you're remembering is the section on youth on youth abuse, that states there is a larger probability of abuse when there's more than a three year age difference. While the materials mention that, there is no policy that sets out what ages of Scouts may share a tent with others (other than the non-related adult rule).

        My question for this unit is why this is happening? Boys should naturally be bunking with friends. I don't know many 16 year olds who *want* to share a tent with a 12 year old! If they're using mixed age patrols and this is a necessity, then efforts should be made to put compatible Scouts together. If they are arbitrarily separating friends to cut down on bedtime chatter, then they've created a bigger problem. The chatter is part of the experience!

        Sounds like time for a showing of It Happened to Me.

        YiS,
        Jamie Dunn
        Pack Trainer
        P. 512