Re: [Scouter_T] Digest Number 1443

  • Robert O'Donnell
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
      I am coming to believe that a well designed and well run On-Line training program may address the needs of "Scoutreach" and let enough leaders become better educated that Scouting may be able to deliver the kind of programs that we all seem to want our kids to experience.

      How it is designed is crucial! I also harbor concerns that it may negatively impact the training that already works.

      It is the shortage of trained leaders and people who modify the well designed inteligent effort in Scouting that could be most effectively addressed by expanding leader training opportunities.
      As Baden Powell highlighted- skills are grasped best by Scouting method "See It..Learn it...Do it...Teach It...Know It." I don't believe that all these elements can be done electronically...there will need to be integration of the old and the new.

      Again that goes back to training design and execution...any new advance needs to dovetail to what is already in place as a way to add real enrichment.

    • John Halter
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2006
        The on line debate reminds me of the similar debates that arose when the
        Pack Trainer position was introduced. No one seemed to think that a
        pack should be trained by one of the leaders in the pack, instead they
        should go to a district level training session where they could interact
        with others and receive a better, more up to date training session.
        Personally, I think that a new leader would probably receive a better
        training experience for his time spent by attending a district level
        training. However, I can also see where in some areas of the country
        that may not be practical or timely. In an area such as my district is
        located, there is no reason for any leader not to be trained. Between
        the offerings in our district and the surrounding districts, not to
        mention the possibility of specially scheduled trainings if a group
        needed, there are plenty of opportunities to receive training.
        Where I grew up, it's a different story. The closest training is hours
        away. In these cases, I could see where an on line training option
        could be beneficial. There are many, many options that could be looked
        at for on line training. As some have mentioned, many colleges offer on
        line classes in various subjects. I have also taken classes which
        involved interactive web casts with the instructor. Imagine sitting
        down at your computer and being able to watch the instructors as they
        give the training...students interacting with each other and the
        instructor via their computers. Yes, the would absolutely miss out on
        the hands-on opportunity of building the cardboard bridge. But how
        about a virtual whiteboard where the students could all participate in
        the uniform game? It would be possible to provide a very high-quality
        training experience via the web to leaders in remote areas of rural
        states or even over-seas.
        How would that affect the pool of trainers in a given district or
        council that would have the experience and skill to participate in
        supplemental/advanced training? I'm not sure. I can see where it could
        create a dilemma and that would need to be addressed ahead of time. It
        would be nice if there were a way to make the on line training available
        for leaders in districts/councils that met certain criteria regarding
        distance and availability of training programs.

        Thank you,

        John Halter
        District Commissioner
        Wekiwa District
        Central FL Council, B.S.A.
        www.wekiwa.cfcbsa.org
        "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
        ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442
        Wekiwa is an Indian word that means "spring of water"

        Robert O'Donnell wrote:

        > Again that goes back to training design and execution...any new
        > advance needs to dovetail to what is already in place as a way to add
        > real enrichment.

      • Brant Lippincott
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 30, 2006
          Regarding Pack Trainer --- I think that some of us had a vision of Pack Trainer as the advocate for training within the pack and to make sure all leaders got trained, provide initial (Fast Start) training, supplemental training, new parent orientation, etc... I, for one, think that training should be provided at a district (or larger) level. Of course, I do live in the DFW area. Our council (Circle 10) is one of the largest in the nation... So I really don't have a lot of perspective on the issues of a small district. Anyway, that vision proved to be the correct one. Check out the duties that national has for the PT position. Just what we thought. They don't conduct NLE, LST, etc. at the PACK level.

          My problem with an "on-line" course is that if it's a bunch of PPT slides and the videos, and people sitting in their living room taking it will think they are "really" trained. Training is a lot more than that. The interaction with the trainers and the rest of the class provides a portion of that training.

          The problem, as I see it, comes to this... We have new leaders who complain that NLE is too long at 90 minutes, LST is too long at 2-1/2 to 3 hours, BALOO is too long.... They want a quick fix. Some of these folks will "blast" through the slides at breakneck speed and feel they are trained. And the boys will miss something - what I can't say.

          It's like the "old guard" BOY scout leaders. They KNOW how the program works - by gooly they were an Eagle back in '71... So, they don't get trained - or they took SMF 10 years ago.

          I can see a time and place for "on-line" training, but I think that should be an exception.

          Just my 2 cents,
          Brant Lippincott
          Cub Training Chair