Re: [Scouter_T] Re: scoutmaster specific-OLS

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 24, 2006
      In our troop they break out into patrols at every meeting. So they just take the opportunity to discuss the campout at the meeting...........

      Doc Holladay <johnholladay@...> wrote: Don't your Scout patrols have a patrol meeting before campouts to get
      a menu and do planning?

      I for one can not believe the pre weekend patrol meeting is not in the
      curriculum.

      John "Doc" Holladay
      Scoutmaster T1000
      One Grand Troop
      Plano, Tx

      --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Garry McLeary <gmcleary1@...> wrote:

      > I like to pre weekend patrol meeting idea a lot.
      > thank you
      > yis
      > Garry
      >
      > Gerry Moon <gerrymoon32817@...> wrote:
      > One thing we do here is have a pre-course Patrol Meeting -
      bringing
      > the registrants together about a week to 10 days prior. Here is
      > where we collect the money, form the patrols and review the class
      > objectives. This gives the patrols time to collaborate and decide on
      > their patrol assignments, pick their PL/APL, choose a menu, shop for
      > food, design and build a flag, etc. We camp over a weekend to
      > present the course. By doing the patrol meeting beforehand, Friday
      > night is getting set up, presenting a session or two, a cracker
      > barrel and lights out. We can jump in full steam come Saturday
      > morning and run until suppertime. After dinner is the campfire
      > session, then we finish up Sunday morning and are done by noon-ish.
      >
      > Gerry Moon
      > Orlando, FL
      >
      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Eugene Roberts
      > <eugenedroberts@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Garry,
      > >
      > > In the past several years we have revamped the way we run our
      > Outdoor Leader Skills (OLS) course to put an increased emphasis on
      > the patrol method. Our OLS is put on jointly with several districts
      > in our council with each district putting on its own Scoutmaster
      > Leader Specific Training (SMLST). So the participants do not come
      > in already set up patrols. We occasionally get participants who
      > have not attended the SMLST. We also have Venuring Advisors and
      > Varsity Coaches attend. There could be a whole different discussion
      > on presenting the patrol method in the SMLST, but I will talk about
      > OLS here.
      > >
      > > When they arrive at OLS, we put them in patrols. Each patrol is
      > assigned a staff member as "patrol leader". The staff member camps
      > with them and participates in all the activities with them,
      > providing both an example of how things should be done as well as a
      > readily available staff member the participants can direct their
      > questions to. The participants camp as patrols, cook as patrols,
      > make patrol flags, and have patrol yells. At the campfire, each
      > patrol puts on a skit or sings a song. This past time we had quick
      > patrol competitions as a part of most of the areas of instruction.
      > After each competition the winning patrol got a ribbon to put on
      > their patrol flag. We have found that the participants come away
      > with a good understanding of the patrol method in the outdoor
      > setting.
      > >
      > > Your other question dealt with getting participation from LDS
      > units. We found an important factor to getting LDS participation is
      > having the LDS church leadership understand the importance of Boy
      > Scout training in developing effective units. We have worked to
      > emphasize the benefits of training, paticularly to the Counselors to
> [...]

      connie