Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Training required for troop camping

  • John Halter
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
      Again, the question is regarding a Troop campout, not a Pack campout and
      requiring a registered leader is not the same as requiring a Trained
      leader. I also want to make it clear that I am not advocating an
      untrained leader taking their troop camping, I'm simply looking for
      documentation to back up what a leader in my district was told. I
      believe that every leader should be fully trained in their position and
      would love to see BSA require as much, but they currently do not.

      Thank you,

      John Halter
      District Commissioner
      Wekiwa District
      Central FL Council, B.S.A.
      www.wekiwa.org
      "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
      ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

      Meyers, E. Steve wrote:

      > How about a quote from the Guide to Safe Scouting.
      >
      > Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings
      >
      > 1. Two-deep leadership:
      > Two registered adult leaders, or one registered adult and a
      > parent of a participating Scout, one of whom must be at least 21 years
      > of age or older, are required for all trips or outings. There are a few
      > instances, such as patrol activities, when no adult leadership is
      > required. Coed overnight activities require male and female adult
      > leaders, both of whom must be 21 years of age or older, and one of whom
      > must be a registered member of the BSA.
      >
      > To me the phrase, "all trips or outings" would include all troop
      > campouts even if in the backyard of a scout!
      >
      > Steve Meyers
      >
      > Scoutmaster Troop 133
      >
      > "A troop leader in my district asked me a question regarding a
      > requirement for a trained leader on a troop campout. They were told that
      > there had to be at least one trained leader along on the campout.
      > I told them that while I think it's a good idea, I was not aware of any
      > such requirement. Does anyone have any information regarding this? If
      > such a requirement exists, could someone tell me where to find it?"

    • Mike Marks
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 10, 2006
        John,
        There is NO BSA National requirement for a "trained" leader for a Troop
        campout - UNLESS - that campout requires a Local Tour Permit, in which case
        at least one leader must have Youth Protection Training.

        There MAY BE a local Council requirement for training for a Troop Campout.
        It generally depends on how your Council defines their requirements to file
        a Local Tour Permit. This could include Youth Protection Training and Unit
        Leader Health & Safety Training (some call it "Risk Zone" training). While
        it's possible for a local Council to require other training for campouts
        (like Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills) I've never heard of such a
        rule.

        Of course if the campout includes swimming, boating or climbing there ARE
        additional National requirements for training. Safe Swim Defense, Safety
        Afloat, Climb On Safely, CPR.

        Ask your DE for clarification of your Council policy. If he is unable to
        supply it in writing, contact the Council Service Center. Generally the
        Camping Department has responsibility for these "risk management" issues.
        If you are a small Council, buy the SE a cup of coffee and have a chat!
        mm

        _____

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
          For our Troop - Any leaders camping overnight with youth must be registered and must have taken Youth Protection Training - why take the chances - it is not worth it.

          Guide to safe scouting requires 2 deep leadership with one being a registered adult. Does not mention YPT training...but in the policies outlines YPT guidelines.

          Ann Puckett
          Troop 209 - Grand Rapids, MI

          Olan Watkins <olanwatkins@...> wrote: Perhaps they are talking about the Youth Protection Training. For a camp
          out, I believe that at least one of the leaders must have the YPT
          certification.

          Olan

        • Ann Puckett
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 11, 2006
            I already responded to this but additionally always refer to the Guide to Safe Scouting:

            http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/toc.html

            Connie Knie <cknie23100@...> wrote: Not unless it is a Pack campout then there needs to be a BALOO trained person......

            John Halter <john@...> wrote: A troop leader in my district asked me a question regarding a
            requirement for a trained leader on a troop campout. They were told
            that there had to be at least one trained leader along on the campout.
            I told them that while I think it's a good idea, I was not aware of any
            such requirement. Does anyone have any information regarding this? If
            such a requirement exists, could someone tell me where to find it?

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            District Commissioner
            Wekiwa District