Re: [Scouter_T] IOLS Training lack of interest.

  • Sandra Martens
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 15, 2006
      we run all our outdoor training (BALOO, OWL, SM Outdoor, etc) as a council, and usually once a year. that way we get 20-25 and can run a good training session.

      Sandy OWL

      Mike Marks <MikeMarks@...> wrote:
      My opinion and observations.

      The best attended training sessions are ones that are "required". In order
      to take a Pack camping, you must attend BALOO. In order to get a tour
      permit you must have youth protection.

      The second best attendance is training sessions where the leaders see the
      most immediate VALUE to them. Value = is it worth my time and money to
      attend?? Will it help me be a better leader now? Will I obtain enough
      usable information to make the evening, the day or the weekend worth taking
      time away from my unit, family, job or leisure activity?

      Remember that value starts as a perception. Potential participants are
      "sold" on training courses by their friends, the promotion effort, the
      enthusiasm of the course director, the quality of the flyer, the article in
      the newsletter, etc.

      There's a myriad of external factors out of your control that affect
      attendance. Cost is too high. Date conflicts with other activities. You
      may not have an adequately large "pool" of potential participants. It's
      entirely possible that a majority of the folks that need training have been
      trained. (of course that speaks to an entirely different issue -- the need
      for additional recruitment).

      And one more thing to consider in your promotion effort... You may not be
      reaching the RIGHT people. Depending on how you promote the training, you
      might be passing through one or more "leader filter" before the information
      actually reaches the intended audience of untrained volunteers. For
      instance - if you only make announcements or pass out flyers at the monthly
      roundtable, you are counting on a leader from each unit to bring the
      information back to their troop and promote IOLS. If that person is a SM
      who doesn't believe in training you can bet the other leaders in his Troop
      aren't hearing about your course!

      The easy answer to that issue - promote directly to every new leaders.
      Believe me; it's worth a 39 cent stamp! It's even worth a 2-3 minute
      follow-up phone call. How? Every new leader submits an application. That
      application can be "flagged" and a copy provided to the training chairman in
      your district.

      If all else fails and attendance continues to be low - consider partnering
      with a nearby district. It will make more effective use of your time and
      make for a better participant experience.

      mm

      _____

      Subject: [Scouter_T] IOLS Training lack of interest.

      I am a district Boy Scout Leader Training and I am getting dis-
      heartened by the lack of interest in attending this event. We just
      canceled our event for next week since no one signed up for it. This
      event has been advertised since last year.

      We seldom get more than a patrol for this event, which detracts from
      the training's effectiveness.

      Any ideas?

      Herb Dulzo
      Arrowhead District
      Chicago Area Council.

    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 31, 2006
        We run from 20 to 30, if I remember correctly at IOLS. I usually get 8 to 10 for a OWL event and 10 to 20 for BALOO.

        The last two times, I've run a combined OWL & BALOO event. (We've discussed that before.) Personally, I find MANY similar topics in the two events. This time, we covered the following topics together:

        The Outdoor Program
        First Aid
        Cooking
        Tents, Equipment, Site Selection, etc.

        We covered all the program elements and planning separately.

        Personally, I don't believe in requiring Webelos leaders attend IOLS. We tried that for a couple of years and attracted a total of about 10 to 4 events. The Webelos leaders are not yet ready to make the step into BOY scouts and they see IOLS as making that step. Covering all the BOY scout requirements is not very meaningful to them.

        We usually run a parallel event and step over to the IOLS sessions for a couple of topics, if the schedules mesh. Knots, Nature and Cooking are good topics for that. In addition, we try and join for the evening campfire.

        For the Boys,
        Brant

        Howard Hansen <fv_training02@...> wrote:
        We usually see between 40 and 60 participants. Our last session only had 6 or 7 Webelos Leaders. We need to a better job of publicizing WOLS. I was told last week that National is requiring WOLS trained leaders for Webelos to camp in 2007 (but I don't want to open that thread again) (;O)