IOLS Training lack of interest.

  • Herbert Dulzo
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 15, 2006
      I am a district Boy Scout Leader Training and I am getting dis-
      heartened by the lack of interest in attending this event. We just
      canceled our event for next week since no one signed up for it. This
      event has been advertised since last year.

      We seldom get more than a patrol for this event, which detracts from
      the training's effectiveness.

      Any ideas?

      Herb Dulzo
      Arrowhead District
      Chicago Area Council.
    • Brant Lippincott
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 31, 2006
        We run from 20 to 30, if I remember correctly at IOLS. I usually get 8 to 10 for a OWL event and 10 to 20 for BALOO.

        The last two times, I've run a combined OWL & BALOO event. (We've discussed that before.) Personally, I find MANY similar topics in the two events. This time, we covered the following topics together:

        The Outdoor Program
        First Aid
        Cooking
        Tents, Equipment, Site Selection, etc.

        We covered all the program elements and planning separately.

        Personally, I don't believe in requiring Webelos leaders attend IOLS. We tried that for a couple of years and attracted a total of about 10 to 4 events. The Webelos leaders are not yet ready to make the step into BOY scouts and they see IOLS as making that step. Covering all the BOY scout requirements is not very meaningful to them.

        We usually run a parallel event and step over to the IOLS sessions for a couple of topics, if the schedules mesh. Knots, Nature and Cooking are good topics for that. In addition, we try and join for the evening campfire.

        For the Boys,
        Brant

        Howard Hansen <fv_training02@...> wrote:
        We usually see between 40 and 60 participants. Our last session only had 6 or 7 Webelos Leaders. We need to a better job of publicizing WOLS. I was told last week that National is requiring WOLS trained leaders for Webelos to camp in 2007 (but I don't want to open that thread again) (;O)