Re: [Scouter_T] Re: First Year of Boy Scouts

  • Dan Kurtenbach
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
      I think this is an important training issue. If someone isn't looking out
      for each Scout's advancement needs (ideally, the Patrol Leader), then even
      though everything will get done in the normal course of campouts and
      activities, particular tasks may not get done by the particular Scouts who
      need them for requirements. If Johnny needs to cook a meal over an open
      fire for his Second Class cooking requirement, but the patrol duty roster
      has someone else on cooking duty for the entire patrol for that meal, that's
      an advancement opportunity lost. But even if Johnny does get the
      opportunity to cook his meal, that won't help him much if hasn't had
      insruction on how to cook, what to bring, etc. That means that someone has
      to do some training prior to that campout.

      While some folks are able to keep all of those needs and the proper timing
      in their heads and just do it by the seat of their pants, other folks don't
      have that talent. Planning how to accomplish training and practicing the
      Tenderfoot through First Class skills in the course of the program year, and
      in line with the Troop's annual activity plan, can be complicated.

      But just because you have a plan doesn't make it an adult thing and doesn't
      take away the fun. The planning should, ideally, be done by the boys.

      Dan Kurtenbach
      Fairfax, VA
    • corinnajones@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
        Get your Troop Guide into the mix, and have him communicate the advancement needs with the advancement chair.
        With a very active SPL and Troop Guide the first year boys benefited greatly by having others looking out for advancement opportunities.
        The reports off Troopmaster were an excellent tool to keep everybody on track. It's a lot more difficult to remember what's signed off in 10 boys' books.
        Several of the first year scouts made First Class at summer camp.
        Corinna

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2006
          A lot of good posts on this topic.

          Here's one more idea ... BSA national publishes a 'Tenderfoot to First
          Class' phamphlet (#33499B), which I bought to examine both for my son,
          who bridged over from Cub Scouts last spring, and for possible
          implementation in our Troop. It groups like natured requirements (for
          example, the knot tying requirements are all listed together) and
          another method to recognize the boys as they progress to First Class
          (beads that get placed on a leather belt totem).

          We didn't implement this program, since it seems as if our program
          (mostly from monthly campouts) is resulting in the boys
          progressing 'naturally' without need of an additional system.

          But nevertheless, it is nice to have another system in place that we
          could choose from ... I can see some utility for many troops out there.

          John W.
          Troop 56
          Transatlantic Council