First Year of Boy Scouts

  • kathy3177
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hi,
      Does anyone have a sylabus (obviously that they have developed) to
      cover the First Year of Boy Scouts- ie First Class- First Year?
      Thanks
      Kathy
    • R Fisher
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2006
        Not trying to be a smart-alec, but its called the Boy Scout Handbook.
        That should do it.

        YiS

        Roy Fisher
      • Ida Lively
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2006
          Here's an online resource for you:

          http://www.boyscouttrail.com/boy-scouts/1st-scout-schedule.asp

          I did a google search for "First class in one year" .... there were lots of results, this one was just the first hit.

          Good luck!

          Ida
        • Doc Holladay
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
            In addition to the BSA Hnadbook - this should be a normal "course of
            business". ie he goes camping - he is dressed and sets up a tent and
            so on. Aint a big deal -just do it.

            A sylabus won't make it fun and it will make it an adult thing.

            Your over all troop program needs focus if it doesn't support regular
            advancement.

            John "Doc" Holladay
            Scoutmaster
            T1000 Plano, Tx
            One Grand Troop

            --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "kathy3177" <garyandkathy@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            > Does anyone have a sylabus (obviously that they have developed) to
            > cover the First Year of Boy Scouts- ie First Class- First Year?
            > Thanks
            > Kathy

          • Dan Kurtenbach
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
              I think this is an important training issue. If someone isn't looking out
              for each Scout's advancement needs (ideally, the Patrol Leader), then even
              though everything will get done in the normal course of campouts and
              activities, particular tasks may not get done by the particular Scouts who
              need them for requirements. If Johnny needs to cook a meal over an open
              fire for his Second Class cooking requirement, but the patrol duty roster
              has someone else on cooking duty for the entire patrol for that meal, that's
              an advancement opportunity lost. But even if Johnny does get the
              opportunity to cook his meal, that won't help him much if hasn't had
              insruction on how to cook, what to bring, etc. That means that someone has
              to do some training prior to that campout.

              While some folks are able to keep all of those needs and the proper timing
              in their heads and just do it by the seat of their pants, other folks don't
              have that talent. Planning how to accomplish training and practicing the
              Tenderfoot through First Class skills in the course of the program year, and
              in line with the Troop's annual activity plan, can be complicated.

              But just because you have a plan doesn't make it an adult thing and doesn't
              take away the fun. The planning should, ideally, be done by the boys.

              Dan Kurtenbach
              Fairfax, VA
            • corinnajones@hotmail.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 8, 2006
                Get your Troop Guide into the mix, and have him communicate the advancement needs with the advancement chair.
                With a very active SPL and Troop Guide the first year boys benefited greatly by having others looking out for advancement opportunities.
                The reports off Troopmaster were an excellent tool to keep everybody on track. It's a lot more difficult to remember what's signed off in 10 boys' books.
                Several of the first year scouts made First Class at summer camp.
                Corinna

                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2006
                  A lot of good posts on this topic.

                  Here's one more idea ... BSA national publishes a 'Tenderfoot to First
                  Class' phamphlet (#33499B), which I bought to examine both for my son,
                  who bridged over from Cub Scouts last spring, and for possible
                  implementation in our Troop. It groups like natured requirements (for
                  example, the knot tying requirements are all listed together) and
                  another method to recognize the boys as they progress to First Class
                  (beads that get placed on a leather belt totem).

                  We didn't implement this program, since it seems as if our program
                  (mostly from monthly campouts) is resulting in the boys
                  progressing 'naturally' without need of an additional system.

                  But nevertheless, it is nice to have another system in place that we
                  could choose from ... I can see some utility for many troops out there.

                  John W.
                  Troop 56
                  Transatlantic Council