RE: [Scouter_T] Training Expirations

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
      Not in my council.

      Pete Mullaney

      -----Original Message-----
      From: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com [mailto:scouter_t@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
      Of Connie Knie
      Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 7:27 AM
      To: scouter_t@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Scouter_T] Training Expirations

      It came up the other night that BALOO training also has to be renewed. I had
      not heard that. Anyone??
    • Judy Yeager
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
        I remember seeing a list of trainings that National has placed expiration dates on such as Safe Swim, 2 years, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this "official" list. Need chapter and verse.

        Thanks,

        Judy Yeager

      • Rick Pushies
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
          Hi Judy,

          An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
          get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.

          However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.

          Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
          Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
          climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
          least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
          Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
          must have completed Basic Adult Leader

          Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). At least one adult must have completed Planning
          and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.

          The listed BSA training is valid for two years.

          I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
          help out?

          Rick

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
            Don't forget that the faq for the Local Tour Permit specifically says that
            BALOO is not included in the two-year renewal group.

            http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPermitFAQ.aspx

            Teresa

            On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Rick Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

            > Hi Judy,
            >

            > An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
            > get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.
            >

            > However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.
            >

            > Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
            > Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
            > climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
            > least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
            > Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
            > must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).

            At least one adult must have completed Planning
            > and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.
            >
            > The listed BSA training is valid for two years.
            >

            > I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
            > help out?
            >

            > Rick

          • Judy Yeager
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
              Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get specific.

              One of my Training Chairs asked me, "As I understand it Youth Protection does not expire. The only requirement I know if is that someone on the tour permit has to have completed it within the last two years. Is that right or are we forcing the two year requirement on everyone?"

              Trainers who keep informed of what comes from National - How would you answer this?

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                Hi Judy,

                Tell your training chair to read the Local Tour Permit. It states:

                "Youth Protection training is valid for two years from the date completed."

                "Leadership and Youth Protection Training: Boy Scouts of America policy
                requires at least two adult leaders on all camping trips and tours. Coed
                Venturing crews must have both male and female 21-year-old leaders for
                overnight activities. All registered adults participating in any nationally
                conducted event or activity must have completed BSA Youth Protection
                training. At least one registered adult who has completed BSA Youth
                Protection training must be present at all other events and activities that
                require a tour permit. Youth Protection training is valid for two years from
                the date completed."

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                    completed says the following on the bottom:

                    *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                    That should do it.

                    Teresa

                    On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                    > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                    >
                    > Bill
                    >
                    > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                    > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                    > specific.

                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Thanks, Teresa. That's what I needed.

                      Judy Yeager

                      Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                      completed says the following on the bottom:

                      *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                      That should do it.

                      Teresa

                      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                      > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                      > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                      > specific.

                    • smt451
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 17
                        Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the effective life of all the adult and youth training courses? I found a partial list in the Spring 2013 issue of the Advancement News and another somewhat more complete list on one council's web site but it too was several years old.

                        Seems to me that if this is something the units should monitor, we ought to have a ready resource for reference. I tried searching the www.scouting.org web site but other than an occasional reference for a single course, found no list, Why hasn't the national training team made this information available to the rank and file?

                        Ned Darden
                        CC, T451, Pace FL
                        Member Pensacola Bay District Committee

                      • Michael Crothers
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 17
                          I don't think any of the time limits have changed except the Trainer's Edge.

                          See below

                          Good afternoon.

                          In the current NYLT, Wood Badge, NAYLE and PLC syllabi, we require that all staff take Trainers EDGE before staffing, and if people continue to staff that they renew their Trainers EDGE every 3 or 5 years.  When this requirement was written, I believe the intent was to ensure that trainers remain current in training methods taught by BSA.  However, the Trainers EDGE syllabus has not changed much over the years and simply repeating Trainers EDGE does not make better trainers or presenters!

                          This past weekend we discussed this requirement with the Scouting U group.  At the conclusion of the discussion, Scouting U agreed that moving forward, we will continue to require all NYLT, NAYLE, Wood Badge and Leadership Challenge staff take Trainers EDGE, ONCE!  Returning staff will no longer have to repeat the course!

                          We will update the language in all syllabi during the 2017/2018 release cycle.  In the mean time please share with your NYLT, Wood Badge, NAYLE and Leadership Challenge folks this requirement change.

                          I want to add that we all know that all people who are asked to staff are not good presenters, even after taking Trainers EDGE. Sometimes, trainers may improve after proper feed back and coaching; sometimes they don't.  Sometimes, weak trainers should not be invited back to staff again.  Next year, we will strengthen our language around coaching and staff preparation in all syllabi.

                          Another way to help your youth staff to become better presenters is to encourage them to attend the NYLT Leadership Academy.  Most NYLT youth staff who attend the leadership academy return home much stronger presenters!  You might suggest to your future course directors that they encourage their future NYLT youth staff to consider attending a session of NYLT Leadership Academy.  You can find information and registration links at www.nylt-leadershipacademy.org

                          Tom Giugni, Vice Chairman
                          Leadership Development, Scouting U
                          Boy Scouts of America

                          Yours In Scouting
                          Mike Crothers

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 17
                            Here's what was current as of March 10, 2014. I have it on a spreadsheet.

                            Training Recertification
                            Last updated: March 10, 2014
                            Course

                            CodeCourse DescriptionSpring 2011Spring 2013
                            Y0nYouth Protectionevery two yearsevery two years (one year for jamboree)
                            CSnnNational Camping Schoolgood for five camping seasons
                            SSDSafe Swim Defenseevery two yearsevery two years
                            S83Paddle Craft Safetyevery three years

                            Aquatics Supervision/ Swimming and Water Rescueevery three years
                            S81BSA Lifeguardevery three yearsevery three years
                            CS5nVisitation trainingevery two years

                            Climbing Lead Instructorevery two years
                            S75Climbing Instructorevery two years
                            CS58COPE/Climbing Inspectorevery two years
                            SASafety Afloatevery two yearsevery two years
                            S59Chain Saw Safetyevery two years
                            H96Trainer’s EDGEevery three yearsevery three years for Wood Badge and NYLT Staff
                            WS81Hazardous Weatherevery two yearsevery two years
                            SPWPhysical Wellnessevery two years
                            S74 / WS74Climb On Safelyevery two yearsevery two years
                            S76Trek Safelyevery two yearsevery two years

                            That is the latest I have.

                            Paul Yelk
                            Council Training Registrar
                            Inland Northwest Council