Re: [Scouter_T] Training Expirations

    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
      It came up the other night that BALOO training also has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

      Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote: Vern Margard wrote:
      > I am a new Pack Trainer, and I’ve been developing a
      > tool for recording and monitoring the training status
      > of our Pack’s leaders. My question has to do with
      > duration – how long is the training good for?

      It varies with the type of training.

      [snip]
      > I would certainly never underestimate the importance
      > of training, or the value of being retrained to keep
      > current. But does BSA have any clearly articulated
      > expiration periods for any of its training modules?
      > Is there a ready source for this information? As
      > always, chapter and verse would be helpful.

      I don't have such a reference, but a good rule of thumb is to be conservative. I the training certificate expires after 3 years, but you're encouraged to take it at 2 years, then for your purpose, the certifcate will expire in 2 years.

      If you do it this way, you're less likely to have problems with
      untrained leaders leading an event.

      Hope this helps.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      connie

    • Kevin Pate
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
        > It came up the other night that BALOO training also
        > has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

        I suspect you're not the only one to not have heard
        that. While I personally believe all training is
        appropriate to revisit on a regular basis, I've not
        seen anything that suggests a BALOO card needs an
        'expires two years hence' statement like those found
        for Safe Swim and Safety Afloat or the NAII 4 years
        for archery Level 1 instructors and like some councils
        set for youth protection, climbing instructor, COPE,
        etc.

        Kevin in Norman, America

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
          Not in my council.

          Pete Mullaney

          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
            I remember seeing a list of trainings that National has placed expiration dates on such as Safe Swim, 2 years, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this "official" list. Need chapter and verse.

            Thanks,

            Judy Yeager

          • Rick Pushies
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
              Hi Judy,

              An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
              get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.

              However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.

              Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
              Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
              climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
              least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
              Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
              must have completed Basic Adult Leader

              Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). At least one adult must have completed Planning
              and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.

              The listed BSA training is valid for two years.

              I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
              help out?

              Rick

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                Don't forget that the faq for the Local Tour Permit specifically says that
                BALOO is not included in the two-year renewal group.

                http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPermitFAQ.aspx

                Teresa

                On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Rick Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

                > Hi Judy,
                >

                > An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
                > get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.
                >

                > However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.
                >

                > Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
                > Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
                > climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
                > least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
                > Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
                > must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).

                At least one adult must have completed Planning
                > and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.
                >
                > The listed BSA training is valid for two years.
                >

                > I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
                > help out?
                >

                > Rick

              • Judy Yeager
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get specific.

                  One of my Training Chairs asked me, "As I understand it Youth Protection does not expire. The only requirement I know if is that someone on the tour permit has to have completed it within the last two years. Is that right or are we forcing the two year requirement on everyone?"

                  Trainers who keep informed of what comes from National - How would you answer this?

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Hi Judy,

                    Tell your training chair to read the Local Tour Permit. It states:

                    "Youth Protection training is valid for two years from the date completed."

                    "Leadership and Youth Protection Training: Boy Scouts of America policy
                    requires at least two adult leaders on all camping trips and tours. Coed
                    Venturing crews must have both male and female 21-year-old leaders for
                    overnight activities. All registered adults participating in any nationally
                    conducted event or activity must have completed BSA Youth Protection
                    training. At least one registered adult who has completed BSA Youth
                    Protection training must be present at all other events and activities that
                    require a tour permit. Youth Protection training is valid for two years from
                    the date completed."

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                        completed says the following on the bottom:

                        *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                        That should do it.

                        Teresa

                        On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                        > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                        >
                        > Bill
                        >
                        > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                        > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                        > specific.

                      • Judy Yeager
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Thanks, Teresa. That's what I needed.