RE: [Scouter_T] Training Expirations

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
      Certain ones vary from council to council. Our Youth Protection is good for
      3 years, I believe for some councils it is only good for 2 years. My
      council training committee was/is trying to implement that any 'position'
      training done prior to 2000 has to be redone/updated.
      Standard cards for "Safe Swim Defense", and "Safety Afloat" say that they
      are good for two years from the date off the course.

      Ramble off -

      Pete Mullaney

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 3, 2006
        Vern Margard wrote:
        > I am a new Pack Trainer, and I’ve been developing a
        > tool for recording and monitoring the training status
        > of our Pack’s leaders. My question has to do with
        > duration – how long is the training good for?

        It varies with the type of training.

        [snip]
        > I would certainly never underestimate the importance
        > of training, or the value of being retrained to keep
        > current. But does BSA have any clearly articulated
        > expiration periods for any of its training modules?
        > Is there a ready source for this information? As
        > always, chapter and verse would be helpful.

        I don't have such a reference, but a good rule of thumb is to be conservative. I the training certificate expires after 3 years, but you're encouraged to take it at 2 years, then for your purpose, the certifcate will expire in 2 years.

        If you do it this way, you're less likely to have problems with
        untrained leaders leading an event.

        Hope this helps.
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
          It came up the other night that BALOO training also has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

          Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote: Vern Margard wrote:
          > I am a new Pack Trainer, and I’ve been developing a
          > tool for recording and monitoring the training status
          > of our Pack’s leaders. My question has to do with
          > duration – how long is the training good for?

          It varies with the type of training.

          [snip]
          > I would certainly never underestimate the importance
          > of training, or the value of being retrained to keep
          > current. But does BSA have any clearly articulated
          > expiration periods for any of its training modules?
          > Is there a ready source for this information? As
          > always, chapter and verse would be helpful.

          I don't have such a reference, but a good rule of thumb is to be conservative. I the training certificate expires after 3 years, but you're encouraged to take it at 2 years, then for your purpose, the certifcate will expire in 2 years.

          If you do it this way, you're less likely to have problems with
          untrained leaders leading an event.

          Hope this helps.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          connie

        • Kevin Pate
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
            > It came up the other night that BALOO training also
            > has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

            I suspect you're not the only one to not have heard
            that. While I personally believe all training is
            appropriate to revisit on a regular basis, I've not
            seen anything that suggests a BALOO card needs an
            'expires two years hence' statement like those found
            for Safe Swim and Safety Afloat or the NAII 4 years
            for archery Level 1 instructors and like some councils
            set for youth protection, climbing instructor, COPE,
            etc.

            Kevin in Norman, America

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2006
              Not in my council.

              Pete Mullaney

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                I remember seeing a list of trainings that National has placed expiration dates on such as Safe Swim, 2 years, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this "official" list. Need chapter and verse.

                Thanks,

                Judy Yeager

              • Rick Pushies
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                  Hi Judy,

                  An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
                  get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.

                  However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.

                  Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
                  Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
                  climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
                  least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
                  Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
                  must have completed Basic Adult Leader

                  Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). At least one adult must have completed Planning
                  and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.

                  The listed BSA training is valid for two years.

                  I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
                  help out?

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Don't forget that the faq for the Local Tour Permit specifically says that
                    BALOO is not included in the two-year renewal group.

                    http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPermitFAQ.aspx

                    Teresa

                    On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Rick Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Judy,
                    >

                    > An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
                    > get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.
                    >

                    > However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.
                    >

                    > Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
                    > Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
                    > climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
                    > least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
                    > Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
                    > must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).

                    At least one adult must have completed Planning
                    > and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.
                    >
                    > The listed BSA training is valid for two years.
                    >

                    > I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
                    > help out?
                    >

                    > Rick

                  • Judy Yeager
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get specific.

                      One of my Training Chairs asked me, "As I understand it Youth Protection does not expire. The only requirement I know if is that someone on the tour permit has to have completed it within the last two years. Is that right or are we forcing the two year requirement on everyone?"

                      Trainers who keep informed of what comes from National - How would you answer this?

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Hi Judy,

                        Tell your training chair to read the Local Tour Permit. It states:

                        "Youth Protection training is valid for two years from the date completed."

                        "Leadership and Youth Protection Training: Boy Scouts of America policy
                        requires at least two adult leaders on all camping trips and tours. Coed
                        Venturing crews must have both male and female 21-year-old leaders for
                        overnight activities. All registered adults participating in any nationally
                        conducted event or activity must have completed BSA Youth Protection
                        training. At least one registered adult who has completed BSA Youth
                        Protection training must be present at all other events and activities that
                        require a tour permit. Youth Protection training is valid for two years from
                        the date completed."

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                            Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                            completed says the following on the bottom:

                            *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                            That should do it.

                            Teresa

                            On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                            > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                            >
                            > Bill
                            >
                            > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                            > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                            > specific.

                          • Judy Yeager
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 7, 2010
                              Thanks, Teresa. That's what I needed.