RE: [Scouter_T] Training Expirations

  • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
      Certain ones vary from council to council. Our Youth Protection is good for
      3 years, I believe for some councils it is only good for 2 years. My
      council training committee was/is trying to implement that any 'position'
      training done prior to 2000 has to be redone/updated.
      Standard cards for "Safe Swim Defense", and "Safety Afloat" say that they
      are good for two years from the date off the course.

      Ramble off -

      Pete Mullaney

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
        Our BSA Trainings regarding Leader Positions do not expire. Once you are trained, you are trained. It can get difficult when a leader was trained under one program, and then a new program is released - example ScoutMaster. Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills replaced a portion of the previous Scoutmaster training requirements. So, it is possible to have a trained scoutmaster who has not taken IOLS. (Confused yet?)
        Some Councils have set individual council requirements - example - Youth Protection at least every three years. You must go by what your council has established.

        There are a few courses which have built in expirations. My Climbing Instructor Certificate is good for two years. A National Camp School Trained Climbing Director is certified for 5 years. A BSA Lifeguard (Youth or Adult) is good for three years.

        Other Organizations have set the length of certification for their courses -ex, American Red Cross: CPR - 1 year, First Aid - three years, Instructors - two years with automatic renewal if you teach the prescribed courses in that period.

        So, there you go - If it doesn't say it expires, and your council hasn't set more strict guidelines, its still good.

        Tom Burke
        Great Rivers Council Training Committee

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 3, 2006
          Vern Margard wrote:
          > I am a new Pack Trainer, and I’ve been developing a
          > tool for recording and monitoring the training status
          > of our Pack’s leaders. My question has to do with
          > duration – how long is the training good for?

          It varies with the type of training.

          [snip]
          > I would certainly never underestimate the importance
          > of training, or the value of being retrained to keep
          > current. But does BSA have any clearly articulated
          > expiration periods for any of its training modules?
          > Is there a ready source for this information? As
          > always, chapter and verse would be helpful.

          I don't have such a reference, but a good rule of thumb is to be conservative. I the training certificate expires after 3 years, but you're encouraged to take it at 2 years, then for your purpose, the certifcate will expire in 2 years.

          If you do it this way, you're less likely to have problems with
          untrained leaders leading an event.

          Hope this helps.
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
            It came up the other night that BALOO training also has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

            Scouter Chuck <antelope95@...> wrote: Vern Margard wrote:
            > I am a new Pack Trainer, and I’ve been developing a
            > tool for recording and monitoring the training status
            > of our Pack’s leaders. My question has to do with
            > duration – how long is the training good for?

            It varies with the type of training.

            [snip]
            > I would certainly never underestimate the importance
            > of training, or the value of being retrained to keep
            > current. But does BSA have any clearly articulated
            > expiration periods for any of its training modules?
            > Is there a ready source for this information? As
            > always, chapter and verse would be helpful.

            I don't have such a reference, but a good rule of thumb is to be conservative. I the training certificate expires after 3 years, but you're encouraged to take it at 2 years, then for your purpose, the certifcate will expire in 2 years.

            If you do it this way, you're less likely to have problems with
            untrained leaders leading an event.

            Hope this helps.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            connie

          • Kevin Pate
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
              > It came up the other night that BALOO training also
              > has to be renewed. I had not heard that. Anyone??

              I suspect you're not the only one to not have heard
              that. While I personally believe all training is
              appropriate to revisit on a regular basis, I've not
              seen anything that suggests a BALOO card needs an
              'expires two years hence' statement like those found
              for Safe Swim and Safety Afloat or the NAII 4 years
              for archery Level 1 instructors and like some councils
              set for youth protection, climbing instructor, COPE,
              etc.

              Kevin in Norman, America

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Mullaney, Peter [AMSRD-AAR-AEE-E]
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2006
                Not in my council.

                Pete Mullaney

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                  I remember seeing a list of trainings that National has placed expiration dates on such as Safe Swim, 2 years, etc. Does anyone have a link to where I can find this "official" list. Need chapter and verse.

                  Thanks,

                  Judy Yeager

                • Rick Pushies
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                    Hi Judy,

                    An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
                    get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.

                    However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.

                    Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
                    Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
                    climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
                    least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
                    Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
                    must have completed Basic Adult Leader

                    Outdoor Orientation (BALOO). At least one adult must have completed Planning
                    and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.

                    The listed BSA training is valid for two years.

                    I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
                    help out?

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                      Don't forget that the faq for the Local Tour Permit specifically says that
                      BALOO is not included in the two-year renewal group.

                      http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/HealthandSafety/TourPermitFAQ.aspx

                      Teresa

                      On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Rick Pushies <rick@...> wrote:

                      > Hi Judy,
                      >

                      > An all inclusive up to date list of training expirations would be nice to
                      > get from National. So far I do not believe one exists.
                      >

                      > However, the Local Tour Permit answers some of your questions.
                      >

                      > Activity Standards: Where swimming or boating is included in the program,
                      > Safe Swim Defense and/or Safety Afloat standards are to be followed. If
                      > climbing/rappelling is included, then Climb On Safely must be followed. At
                      > least one person must be trained in CPR from any recognized agency for
                      > Safety Afloat and Climb On Safely. At least one adult on a pack overnighter
                      > must have completed Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO).

                      At least one adult must have completed Planning
                      > and Preparing for Hazardous Weather training for all tours.
                      >
                      > The listed BSA training is valid for two years.
                      >

                      > I'm not certain about other expiration dates. Maybe others in the group can
                      > help out?
                      >

                      > Rick

                    • Judy Yeager
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                        Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get specific.

                        One of my Training Chairs asked me, "As I understand it Youth Protection does not expire. The only requirement I know if is that someone on the tour permit has to have completed it within the last two years. Is that right or are we forcing the two year requirement on everyone?"

                        Trainers who keep informed of what comes from National - How would you answer this?

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                          Hi Judy,

                          Tell your training chair to read the Local Tour Permit. It states:

                          "Youth Protection training is valid for two years from the date completed."

                          "Leadership and Youth Protection Training: Boy Scouts of America policy
                          requires at least two adult leaders on all camping trips and tours. Coed
                          Venturing crews must have both male and female 21-year-old leaders for
                          overnight activities. All registered adults participating in any nationally
                          conducted event or activity must have completed BSA Youth Protection
                          training. At least one registered adult who has completed BSA Youth
                          Protection training must be present at all other events and activities that
                          require a tour permit. Youth Protection training is valid for two years from
                          the date completed."

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                            Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.

                            Bill

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                              Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                              completed says the following on the bottom:

                              *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                              That should do it.

                              Teresa

                              On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                              > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                              >
                              > Bill
                              >
                              > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                              > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                              > specific.

                            • Judy Yeager
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 7, 2010
                                Thanks, Teresa. That's what I needed.

                                Judy Yeager

                                Judy, the trained certificate that prints off when the online version is
                                completed says the following on the bottom:

                                *This certification is valid for two years from this date*

                                That should do it.

                                Teresa

                                On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Bill <bnelson45@...> wrote:

                                > Youth Leader Training needs to be taken every 2 years.
                                >
                                > Bill
                                >
                                > --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Judy Yeager <kcjscout@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Ok, I found the list that I referenced in the April Training Updates that
                                > were copied from National. It did not answer my question, so let's get
                                > specific.

                              • smt451
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 17
                                  Does anyone know where I can find a complete listing of the effective life of all the adult and youth training courses? I found a partial list in the Spring 2013 issue of the Advancement News and another somewhat more complete list on one council's web site but it too was several years old.

                                  Seems to me that if this is something the units should monitor, we ought to have a ready resource for reference. I tried searching the www.scouting.org web site but other than an occasional reference for a single course, found no list, Why hasn't the national training team made this information available to the rank and file?

                                  Ned Darden
                                  CC, T451, Pace FL
                                  Member Pensacola Bay District Committee

                                • Michael Crothers
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 17
                                    I don't think any of the time limits have changed except the Trainer's Edge.

                                    See below

                                    Good afternoon.

                                    In the current NYLT, Wood Badge, NAYLE and PLC syllabi, we require that all staff take Trainers EDGE before staffing, and if people continue to staff that they renew their Trainers EDGE every 3 or 5 years.  When this requirement was written, I believe the intent was to ensure that trainers remain current in training methods taught by BSA.  However, the Trainers EDGE syllabus has not changed much over the years and simply repeating Trainers EDGE does not make better trainers or presenters!

                                    This past weekend we discussed this requirement with the Scouting U group.  At the conclusion of the discussion, Scouting U agreed that moving forward, we will continue to require all NYLT, NAYLE, Wood Badge and Leadership Challenge staff take Trainers EDGE, ONCE!  Returning staff will no longer have to repeat the course!

                                    We will update the language in all syllabi during the 2017/2018 release cycle.  In the mean time please share with your NYLT, Wood Badge, NAYLE and Leadership Challenge folks this requirement change.

                                    I want to add that we all know that all people who are asked to staff are not good presenters, even after taking Trainers EDGE. Sometimes, trainers may improve after proper feed back and coaching; sometimes they don't.  Sometimes, weak trainers should not be invited back to staff again.  Next year, we will strengthen our language around coaching and staff preparation in all syllabi.

                                    Another way to help your youth staff to become better presenters is to encourage them to attend the NYLT Leadership Academy.  Most NYLT youth staff who attend the leadership academy return home much stronger presenters!  You might suggest to your future course directors that they encourage their future NYLT youth staff to consider attending a session of NYLT Leadership Academy.  You can find information and registration links at www.nylt-leadershipacademy.org

                                    Tom Giugni, Vice Chairman
                                    Leadership Development, Scouting U
                                    Boy Scouts of America

                                    Yours In Scouting
                                    Mike Crothers

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 17
                                      Here's what was current as of March 10, 2014. I have it on a spreadsheet.

                                      Training Recertification
                                      Last updated: March 10, 2014
                                      Course

                                      CodeCourse DescriptionSpring 2011Spring 2013
                                      Y0nYouth Protectionevery two yearsevery two years (one year for jamboree)
                                      CSnnNational Camping Schoolgood for five camping seasons
                                      SSDSafe Swim Defenseevery two yearsevery two years
                                      S83Paddle Craft Safetyevery three years

                                      Aquatics Supervision/ Swimming and Water Rescueevery three years
                                      S81BSA Lifeguardevery three yearsevery three years
                                      CS5nVisitation trainingevery two years

                                      Climbing Lead Instructorevery two years
                                      S75Climbing Instructorevery two years
                                      CS58COPE/Climbing Inspectorevery two years
                                      SASafety Afloatevery two yearsevery two years
                                      S59Chain Saw Safetyevery two years
                                      H96Trainer’s EDGEevery three yearsevery three years for Wood Badge and NYLT Staff
                                      WS81Hazardous Weatherevery two yearsevery two years
                                      SPWPhysical Wellnessevery two years
                                      S74 / WS74Climb On Safelyevery two yearsevery two years
                                      S76Trek Safelyevery two yearsevery two years

                                      That is the latest I have.

                                      Paul Yelk
                                      Council Training Registrar
                                      Inland Northwest Council