Re: [Scouter_T] Combining BALOO, WLOT and IOLS

  • Sandra Martens
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 8, 2006
      we combine BALOO and WLOT (we call it OWL) all the time. We never add IOL to it, the reason being we don't want the Cub Scout leaders doing too much "Boy Scout" because they have the tendency to pass it on to the boys before they're ready for it.

      Below is our OWL/BALOO timeline we use.

      BALOO ACTIVITY TIME FRAME OWL ACTIVITY
      Opening 09:00-09:20 Opening
      09:20-10:00 Webelos Activities/H&S
      Aims/Purposes, videos 09:20-0930
      Planning/Program 0930-11:00
      10:00-10:10 Break
      10:10-10:50 Round Robin ½
      10:50-11:45 Round Robin ¾
      Health and Safety 11:00-11:45
      Lunch 11:45-12:15 Lunch
      Activities (discuss games/hikes) 12:15-13:30 Activities
      Blind Tent Relay 13:30-14:00 Blind Tent Relay
      Fire Building 14:00-14:15 Fire Building
      Round Robin J1/2 14:15-15:15 Round Robin J1/2
      Round Robin J3/4 15:15-16:00 Round Robin J3/4
      Flag Ceremony 16:00-16:20 Flag Ceremony
      Campfire Preparation (dens) 16:20-17:00 Campfire Preparation (dens)
      Dinner 1700-18:00 Dinner
      Campfire/Closing 18:00-19:00 Campfire/Closing

      Round Robin 1 / 2 Round Robin 3 / 4 Round Robin J1/2 Round Robin J3/4
      Naturalist Knots Cooking/Sanitation First Aid
      Forester Geologist Campsite/Bedding Campfire Prep

      round robin 1/2 and 3/4 are webelos only J1/2 and J3/4 are joint

      BALOO Activities OWL Activities (1 hr 15 min) (1 hr 15 min)

      wiggle worm hunt scavenger hunt
      hug a tree fire starters
      nature critter bug cages
      blind tent relay blind tent relay
      break geodes

      during the sessions we don't do any activities unless there is time. it is basically teaching and answering questions. we do activities for each session during our activity period. this also gives us the flexibility we need sometimes if we have more participants than usual or more inexperienced participants.

      Sandy OWL

      Margo Mead <meadclan@...> wrote:
      OK, we had a training committee meeting for the first time in a few years
      last night. At least we're making some progress. :-)

      During the meeting, the subjects of BALOO, Webelos Leader Outdoor Training,
      and Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills came up and I mentioned that I had
      heard of others dovetailing the courses together so that they all got done
      over the same weekend, with participants being together for the parts that
      overlapped significantly enough, and breaking out into separate groups for
      the parts that didn't.

      The training chair seemed very interested in this. Our district has not
      offered these courses for quite some time, instead depending on other nearby
      districts, I guess. I am not at all familiar with these trainings and do not
      know how well it goes to overlap them. I'm interested in hearing others'
      experiences.

      I know there are obviously cons to even trying this, and some may veto it
      without even trying (for probably very good reasons), but I'd like to hear
      from people who have tried it. Thanks!

      Regards--

      Margo Mead

      Portland, Oregon

      meadclan@...

      www.beadiecritters.com

      www.geocities.com/meadfamily

      www.geocities.com/worldkrahenbuhl

    • Tom Burke
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
        Fred,
        I just finished the LNT Master Educator course, and I am deeply interested in how you combined these courses. Could you email me a detailed description of how you did it?

        Tom Burke
        tburke57@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006
          Where you asking me about the class I just held? you replied to my post,
          but addressed Fred.
          *confused*
          Russ

          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 11, 2006