Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Sharing Files(Illegally)

  • jstech
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
      i believe you'll find that scout materials can be copied for scout use.
      Scout materials are not there just to fatten up the coffers of National
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2006
        Ladies and Gentlemen, Scouters all.

        While I won't claim to be the definitive word on the
        matter, I do think all of the the following
        information is true.

        BSA holds valid, registered copyright protection on
        some 99% PLUS of its materials, including but not
        limited to written materials such as training syllibi,
        handbooks, guidebooks, m badge books, certificates,
        badge cards, etc., etc., etc. as it's a long, long
        list. (It may actually be 100%, but that's more study

        than I've ever given the matter.)

        Copyright law provides, in part:

        a time frame for the valifity of protection
        on a copyrighted work.

        to the holder of the copyright, which may or
        may not be the author, authority to pursue
        remedies due to actions which infringe the
        copyright protection afforded to a work.

        a reasonably outlined means to secure permission,
        from the holder of the copyright protection, to
        make and/or distribute copies.

        a reasonably understood multi-prong test on
        what constitutes fair use of a copyrighted work
        even in the absence of the express permission of
        the holder of the copyright.

        Copying 100% of a work can potentially give rise to a
        valid claim of copyright infringement against someone
        by the holder of the copyright protection. Such a
        claim may lead to treble damages on a registered work,
        plus considerable other expenses. For unregistered
        works, provable actual damages plus expenses, which
        again, could be considerable, would be the available
        remedy to the holder of the copyright.

        BSA has never, to my knowledge, sought an action
        against a volunteer for copying and distributing
        training materials that are under copyright

        Only BSA has the authority to press an action to
        protect BSA's rights as a copyright holder.

        That being noted, I'll close simply by adding this
        opinion: Both the "It's OK" and the "It's Not OK"
        camps appear to be correct, at this time.

        (a) Much of what appears to occur regarding
        training syllabi falls squarely into a
        category of conduct which could reasonably
        be expected to result in a recovery for
        BSA if BSA elected to pursue a copyright
        infringment action.

        (b) BSA, though entitled to take action if
        and when it should choose to do so, shows
        little to no signs of any interest to take
        such action in situations where no one is
        seeking any form of personal gain, even
        though wide spread copying and distribution
        limits sales and can lead to increased
        production costs.

        Kevin in Norman, America

        Do You Yahoo!?