Big Files

  • Brant Lippincott
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      I was following the discussion about files.

      As youve noticed, there are limitations to storing files in Yahoo Groups. We've basically used up our space there. And thse are large files.

      One other problem is email systems have limitations. These files are typically very large > 1MB and some email systems won't let you send or receive files that large. If I recall correctly, my OWL sysllabus is 30 MB.

      Then you have capacity issues. I'f you have a 10 MB capacity, you only have room for a couple -- so you'd have to receive, download, delete and repeat.....

      I'm not shilling for these folks, but a relatively new FREE (advertising supported) system to send LARGE files is www.yousendit.com. You log onto the site, upload a file and put in the email addresses to send it to. YouSendIt sends an email to the party containing the link to the file. The recipient clicks on the link, visits the web, sees a couple of ads and can download the file.

      There are limits as to the length of time the file remains out there (it's not intended for long-term storage) and the number of downloads allowed. So, it's strictly for short term... They do have PREMIUM (pay) accounts where you can do more.

      This might help in getting these files exchanged....

      For the Boys,
      Brant

    • Fred Goodwin, CMA
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
        Some other free online file storage / downloading services:

        http://www.streamload.com/ (25GB total storage)
        http://www.box.net/ (1GB total storage)
        http://www.drivehq.com/ (1GB)
        http://www.esnips.com/ (1GB)