Re: Pack Trainer Training- link

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
      David,

      While I think your concern is unfounded, I do understand the concern.
      None of us want to distribute (or receive) inaccurate information at
      a training event.

      I went back in our May list archives to see where the pack trainer
      award and knot file in our files section originated. I found this
      message:

      Just placed the requirement for the New Pack Trainer Knot
      in the Flies section under trainer knot.

      this was approved by the Naitonal Cub Scout Committee
      last week.

      YIS
      Jay

      You may not know Jay was the source of the file, and even if you spot
      checked the archive, you may not have clue one who Jay is. Truth be
      known, I've never laid eyes on Jay myself. However, I'm familar with
      both Jay and his dear spouse via this list and other list.

      If either of them post something and it's not labeled as opinion, my
      experiences with them cause me to feel quite comfortable that's no
      mere receivable but hard currency already in the bank. that's the
      level of respect and trust that they have generated in my dealings
      with them.

      I'm in full agreement that it would be great to see some clear
      publicity for the Pack Trainer Award and its associated knot coming
      from national. I think it's an important position that deserves to
      have its new award tooted far more publically. That said, I have no
      question in my mind that it is indeed an approved national award with
      a start date later this week.

      I personally think existing pack trainers ought to be able to
      grandfather in at least 1 year of tenure myself. Of course, iffin I
      had my way, our own Jamie D would get the first award out of the
      printing press and the first knot off the loom but well, yeah,
      sometimes I gets a touch biased 8^)

      On a local DE not knowing of something, even our best DE's and their
      supervisors only find out stuff when they get told. In the internet
      age, many DE's and even SE's hear of things from the volunteer side
      of the field before it filters out to them in the monthly or bi-
      weekly or whatever schedule is used by the national to council pony
      express. Volunteers in positions to know can share information in
      danged near real time and distribute globally with but a few clicks.
      The Corporate world however still puts things in a hopper to float
      through a distrbution cycle and it gets there when it gets there, and
      then it gets spread further in a somewhat adhoc process even after it
      hits the right building in the right city.

      Although it seems to me communication overall is improving, two very
      common statements to me over the years from my local council staff
      folk have been "let me check that out and get back to you" and "How
      do you keep coming up with this stuff?" They're good people, they
      just spend less time internet-wise than I do so I gets to stump them
      at times because I'm a bit like my poppa: I ain't ever gonna be the
      smartest man in the room, but I have one whale of a rolodex and it's
      chock full of smart people who are willing to lend a hand from time
      to time.

      Also, at least from my perspective, June 1 hasn't been a typical
      launch date for Cub related matters in recent years.

      The BALOO syllabus hit shelves in the winter months of late
      2000 and early 2001.

      The Tiger rank program and handbook was pretty much an
      August/September creature back in 2001 if I recall right.

      Tigers wearing blue uniforms (officially anyway) was
      announced mid to late summer 2004 with a kickoff in
      August or September as I recall.

      Back when it was created, the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity
      award was announced late in the summer months, and
      then shortly after it was clarified it had a post
      September 1 date of that year for counting the camping
      component.

      The eventual release of the revised Webelos Leader Outdoor
      training syllabus wasn't tied to June either, but the actual
      date escapes me now.

      The updated Fast Start online training for Tiger leaders
      earlier this year wasn't tied to June.

      Sorry to be so long, and I may not have alleiviated any of your
      concerns, but I'm very comfortable in the belief that information
      currently in the files section is the correct info on a new in 2006
      national council award for pack trainers.

      Kevin from Norman, America
    • infoscouter
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
        --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kevinpate@...> wrote:

        > I personally think existing pack trainers ought to be able to
        > grandfather in at least 1 year of tenure myself. Of course, iffin
        > had my way, our own Jamie D would get the first award out of the
        > printing press and the first knot off the loom but well, yeah,
        > sometimes I gets a touch biased 8^)

        Okay, Kevin - that's enough. I kind of wish the same thing myself,
        since I think I have most of the requirements nailed alreay. But -
        that's not in the rules, so I'm left wondering whether I should put
        off crediting my tenure toward my Roundtable service, and apply it
        to the Pack Trainer award. I suppose it might make my District
        Commissioner happier if I did PT first, then I'd have to hang around
        RT longer to earn the arrowhead, knot and Distinguished Commissioner
        awards!

        > On a local DE not knowing of something, even our best DE's and
        their
        > supervisors only find out stuff when they get told. In the
        internet
        > age, many DE's and even SE's hear of things from the volunteer
        side
        > of the field before it filters out to them in the monthly or bi-
        > weekly or whatever schedule is used by the national to council
        pony
        > express. Volunteers in positions to know can share information in
        > danged near real time and distribute globally with but a few
        clicks.

        I think, too, part of our communication problem is the publishing
        schedule for Scouting magazine. It comes out in May/June (too late
        to publish much info from the National Meeting), and then disappears
        until September. What do you want to bet there'll be info on the
        award in the September issue when it hits our mailboxes? (Which is
        soon I hope!)
      • Don Wilson
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
          And don't forget that TR Commissioners may also earn the green
          training knot.

          Don Wilson
          OHC 427
        • John Halter
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
            While I don't recall the exact release date either, I seem to recall it
            being given to us around September or October, a short time before our
            date for that training course.

            Thank you,

            John Halter
            District Commissioner
            Wekiwa District
            Central FL Council
            www.wekiwa.org
            "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
            ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

            Kevin wrote:

            > The eventual release of the revised Webelos Leader Outdoor
            > training syllabus wasn't tied to June either, but the actual
            > date escapes me now.

          • Gerry Moon
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
              Actually, Don, I believe the green (ALL green) "Scouter's Training
              Award" is for RT STAFF - RT Commissioners earn the (green and
              white) "Scouter's Key" for being the Commissioner. In the case of a RT
              Commissioner, it'd be considered the "Commissioner's Key". The (all
              green) Scouter's Training Award and the (green and white) Scouter's
              Key are awarded for multiple things. A device is used to designate
              what it was earned for. For example, I have a Scouter's Training Award
              for service on RT staff - and I wear it with a commissioner device.
              Had I earned it as a Boy Scout leader, I'd wear it with a different
              device.

              But all this is splitting hairs - you are right - being a staffer on a
              Roundtable, you can earn a knot. For the RT staff knot, you have to
              take basic training for the position (there is a class for RT staff),
              there is a tenure requirement and there are some performance items you
              have to get signed off.

              THanks for pointing this out - chances are, there are some RT staffers
              out there that aren't aware that they can earn the Scouter's Training
              award for their service.

              Gerry Moon
              Orlando, FL
              Prepping for Ernesto

              --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:

              > And don't forget that TR Commissioners may also earn the green
              > training knot.
              >
              > Don Wilson
              > OHC 427

            • Don Wilson
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
                Hi, Gerry,

                You are on the mark once again. The Roundtable Commissioner earns
                the Key after earning the Arrowhead Honor.

                I wear a green and white knot with devices for Boy Scout,
                Commissioner, and District Committee. I also have the silver on red
                knot as a Distinguished Unit Commissioner and also as Distinguished
                District Commissioner. After completing a Doctor of Commissioner
                Science (Unit Service) program ('96), a Master's in Roundtable, and
                leading a number of Post Graduate programs, my Council Commissioner
                has assigned me as permanent Commissioner's College Staff. We have
                three councils that come together to form the Triad Cluster
                Commissioner's College. The course levels (Bachelor, Masters,
                Roundtable (now offered as one course rather than two), Doctorate
                with Post Doctorate, rotate yearly, so I only have to be prepared to
                present any of the topics selected for the level that is the
                responsibility of our council.

                I am a firm believer of recognizing leaders who advance through the
                programs and urge every leader to make themselves aware of awards for
                which they may be qualified.

                Don Wilson
                OHC 427