Re: [Scouter_T] Re: Pack Trainer Training- link

  • Leslie
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
      This information was released at the National Meeting this past May.
      ---
      Leslie
      http://www.cubbobwhite.net

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
        David,

        While I think your concern is unfounded, I do understand the concern.
        None of us want to distribute (or receive) inaccurate information at
        a training event.

        I went back in our May list archives to see where the pack trainer
        award and knot file in our files section originated. I found this
        message:

        Just placed the requirement for the New Pack Trainer Knot
        in the Flies section under trainer knot.

        this was approved by the Naitonal Cub Scout Committee
        last week.

        YIS
        Jay

        You may not know Jay was the source of the file, and even if you spot
        checked the archive, you may not have clue one who Jay is. Truth be
        known, I've never laid eyes on Jay myself. However, I'm familar with
        both Jay and his dear spouse via this list and other list.

        If either of them post something and it's not labeled as opinion, my
        experiences with them cause me to feel quite comfortable that's no
        mere receivable but hard currency already in the bank. that's the
        level of respect and trust that they have generated in my dealings
        with them.

        I'm in full agreement that it would be great to see some clear
        publicity for the Pack Trainer Award and its associated knot coming
        from national. I think it's an important position that deserves to
        have its new award tooted far more publically. That said, I have no
        question in my mind that it is indeed an approved national award with
        a start date later this week.

        I personally think existing pack trainers ought to be able to
        grandfather in at least 1 year of tenure myself. Of course, iffin I
        had my way, our own Jamie D would get the first award out of the
        printing press and the first knot off the loom but well, yeah,
        sometimes I gets a touch biased 8^)

        On a local DE not knowing of something, even our best DE's and their
        supervisors only find out stuff when they get told. In the internet
        age, many DE's and even SE's hear of things from the volunteer side
        of the field before it filters out to them in the monthly or bi-
        weekly or whatever schedule is used by the national to council pony
        express. Volunteers in positions to know can share information in
        danged near real time and distribute globally with but a few clicks.
        The Corporate world however still puts things in a hopper to float
        through a distrbution cycle and it gets there when it gets there, and
        then it gets spread further in a somewhat adhoc process even after it
        hits the right building in the right city.

        Although it seems to me communication overall is improving, two very
        common statements to me over the years from my local council staff
        folk have been "let me check that out and get back to you" and "How
        do you keep coming up with this stuff?" They're good people, they
        just spend less time internet-wise than I do so I gets to stump them
        at times because I'm a bit like my poppa: I ain't ever gonna be the
        smartest man in the room, but I have one whale of a rolodex and it's
        chock full of smart people who are willing to lend a hand from time
        to time.

        Also, at least from my perspective, June 1 hasn't been a typical
        launch date for Cub related matters in recent years.

        The BALOO syllabus hit shelves in the winter months of late
        2000 and early 2001.

        The Tiger rank program and handbook was pretty much an
        August/September creature back in 2001 if I recall right.

        Tigers wearing blue uniforms (officially anyway) was
        announced mid to late summer 2004 with a kickoff in
        August or September as I recall.

        Back when it was created, the Cub Scout Outdoor Activity
        award was announced late in the summer months, and
        then shortly after it was clarified it had a post
        September 1 date of that year for counting the camping
        component.

        The eventual release of the revised Webelos Leader Outdoor
        training syllabus wasn't tied to June either, but the actual
        date escapes me now.

        The updated Fast Start online training for Tiger leaders
        earlier this year wasn't tied to June.

        Sorry to be so long, and I may not have alleiviated any of your
        concerns, but I'm very comfortable in the belief that information
        currently in the files section is the correct info on a new in 2006
        national council award for pack trainers.

        Kevin from Norman, America
      • infoscouter
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
          --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <kevinpate@...> wrote:

          > I personally think existing pack trainers ought to be able to
          > grandfather in at least 1 year of tenure myself. Of course, iffin
          > had my way, our own Jamie D would get the first award out of the
          > printing press and the first knot off the loom but well, yeah,
          > sometimes I gets a touch biased 8^)

          Okay, Kevin - that's enough. I kind of wish the same thing myself,
          since I think I have most of the requirements nailed alreay. But -
          that's not in the rules, so I'm left wondering whether I should put
          off crediting my tenure toward my Roundtable service, and apply it
          to the Pack Trainer award. I suppose it might make my District
          Commissioner happier if I did PT first, then I'd have to hang around
          RT longer to earn the arrowhead, knot and Distinguished Commissioner
          awards!

          > On a local DE not knowing of something, even our best DE's and
          their
          > supervisors only find out stuff when they get told. In the
          internet
          > age, many DE's and even SE's hear of things from the volunteer
          side
          > of the field before it filters out to them in the monthly or bi-
          > weekly or whatever schedule is used by the national to council
          pony
          > express. Volunteers in positions to know can share information in
          > danged near real time and distribute globally with but a few
          clicks.

          I think, too, part of our communication problem is the publishing
          schedule for Scouting magazine. It comes out in May/June (too late
          to publish much info from the National Meeting), and then disappears
          until September. What do you want to bet there'll be info on the
          award in the September issue when it hits our mailboxes? (Which is
          soon I hope!)
        • Don Wilson
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
            And don't forget that TR Commissioners may also earn the green
            training knot.

            Don Wilson
            OHC 427
          • John Halter
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 27, 2006
              While I don't recall the exact release date either, I seem to recall it
              being given to us around September or October, a short time before our
              date for that training course.

              Thank you,

              John Halter
              District Commissioner
              Wekiwa District
              Central FL Council
              www.wekiwa.org
              "PackDude" at www.Scoutboard.com
              ...and a good 'ol Bobwhite too! SR442

              Kevin wrote:

              > The eventual release of the revised Webelos Leader Outdoor
              > training syllabus wasn't tied to June either, but the actual
              > date escapes me now.

            • Gerry Moon
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
                Actually, Don, I believe the green (ALL green) "Scouter's Training
                Award" is for RT STAFF - RT Commissioners earn the (green and
                white) "Scouter's Key" for being the Commissioner. In the case of a RT
                Commissioner, it'd be considered the "Commissioner's Key". The (all
                green) Scouter's Training Award and the (green and white) Scouter's
                Key are awarded for multiple things. A device is used to designate
                what it was earned for. For example, I have a Scouter's Training Award
                for service on RT staff - and I wear it with a commissioner device.
                Had I earned it as a Boy Scout leader, I'd wear it with a different
                device.

                But all this is splitting hairs - you are right - being a staffer on a
                Roundtable, you can earn a knot. For the RT staff knot, you have to
                take basic training for the position (there is a class for RT staff),
                there is a tenure requirement and there are some performance items you
                have to get signed off.

                THanks for pointing this out - chances are, there are some RT staffers
                out there that aren't aware that they can earn the Scouter's Training
                award for their service.

                Gerry Moon
                Orlando, FL
                Prepping for Ernesto

                --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, "Don Wilson" <don-wilson@...> wrote:

                > And don't forget that TR Commissioners may also earn the green
                > training knot.
                >
                > Don Wilson
                > OHC 427

              • Don Wilson
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 28, 2006
                  Hi, Gerry,

                  You are on the mark once again. The Roundtable Commissioner earns
                  the Key after earning the Arrowhead Honor.

                  I wear a green and white knot with devices for Boy Scout,
                  Commissioner, and District Committee. I also have the silver on red
                  knot as a Distinguished Unit Commissioner and also as Distinguished
                  District Commissioner. After completing a Doctor of Commissioner
                  Science (Unit Service) program ('96), a Master's in Roundtable, and
                  leading a number of Post Graduate programs, my Council Commissioner
                  has assigned me as permanent Commissioner's College Staff. We have
                  three councils that come together to form the Triad Cluster
                  Commissioner's College. The course levels (Bachelor, Masters,
                  Roundtable (now offered as one course rather than two), Doctorate
                  with Post Doctorate, rotate yearly, so I only have to be prepared to
                  present any of the topics selected for the level that is the
                  responsibility of our council.

                  I am a firm believer of recognizing leaders who advance through the
                  programs and urge every leader to make themselves aware of awards for
                  which they may be qualified.

                  Don Wilson
                  OHC 427