RE: Pack trainer

  • Kent Wolfe
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2001
      Being on the council and district training committees, and being one of 3
      people trying to decide how to implement the new trainings in our council, I
      will have a problem allowing a unit person provide Basic to others in the
      unit. I do like the idea of that person making sure that the unit's leaders
      receive FastStart, however. Since we see so many people come to training
      without having had FastStart (which is not suppose to happen), I'd even be
      open to the idea that the pack trainer has to submit names for training and
      state that those people have had FastStart for their positions.

      I agree that not just anybody should be training people. The only way right
      now that I could see this happening is if that person has attended the
      Training Development Conference and then had a heart-to-heart with the
      district training chair. Perhaps even then, you might want to see that
      person in action first. If all that did occur, the person might as well
      join the training team and train others besides the unit.

      Kent Wolfe
      Arborland District
      Cornhusker Council
    • ClayConver@AOL.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 24, 2001
        In a message dated 24/4/01 12:16:41, kentw@... writes:

        << I agree that not just anybody should be training people. The only way
        right
        now that I could see this happening is if that person has attended the
        Training Development Conference and then had a heart-to-heart with the
        district training chair. Perhaps even then, you might want to see that
        person in action first. If all that did occur, the person might as well
        join the training team and train others besides the unit. >>

        If I understood Brad Farmer, National Director of Cub Scouting, last weekend,
        he expects that the Pack Trainer will in fact attend the "Training
        Development Conf." There will be a need, in my opinion, to QC those serving
        in a Pack Trainer position. In reality this may give us a ready source of
        trainers capable of both formal training and serving as personal coaches to
        train those leaders who can't for some reason attend our formal training
        sessions. The new training is deliverable in several different formats.
        Personal coaching using the "Power Point" material included and videos, may
        become a very effective way of training those who we haven't been able to
        reach with traditional methods.

        YIS
        Clay Converse
        Chenango District
        Baden-Powell Council, Binghamton NY
      • Faun Guarino
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 17, 2001
          Does anyone have the training syllabus available with the section on
          pack trainer? I've been asked to prepare something for Pow Wow, since
          our council is not using the new training program until next year. Would
          appreciate any details (I already have the job description).

          Thank you!

          Faun Guarino
          Long Island, NY
        • bnelson45@hotmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 18, 2001
            > our council is not using the new training program until next year.

            There are a number of changes, effective this Fall, in the Cub Scout
            program that are not in the old material...better let your council
            know. Changes are in at least these areas:
            - Tiger Cubs: lots of changes
            - Camping: lots of changes
            - Pack Trainer: new position
            - New Webelos Badge: optional

            bill
          • CubBobwhite
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 18, 2001
              From: "Faun Guarino" <fguarino@...>

              > Does anyone have the training syllabus available with the section on
              > pack trainer?

              Pack Committee Training Syllabus
              Pack Committee Program Support

              "Remind participants that the committee supports the program as planned.
              *Training adult leaders is critical, and the committee should urge all
              of them to complete the training for their positions. Briefly review parent
              orientation, Fast Start, and BSA Basic Training. Point out additional
              opportunities in pow wows, universities of Scouting, Youth Protection
              training, and outdoor skills training. Also emphasize the importance of the
              monthly Cub Scout leader roundtable. Explain that training may be conducted
              by the district or council, but the pack's own pack trainer can give
              leadership to parent orientation, Fast Start, and BSA Basic Training."

              That is it! I have also gone through the new TTT materials and there is no
              mention in there, at least that I can find. I find this position to be most
              scary. There are packs out there that will say to their new leaders, "Don't
              worry, we can tell you everything you need to know" and then explain Cub
              Scouting their way and not the way of the BSA.

              Leslie
            • wahowland@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 26, 2002
                In a message dated 9/25/02 4:20:09 AM, scouter_t@yahoogroups.com writes:

                << Without the Pack Trainer, couldn't a parent (pack leader) be expected to
                go through PST several times: once as a Tiger Partner, once as a Wolf
                Den Leader, once as a Bear Den Leader, once as Cubmaster, once as
                Webelos Den Leader? Is this much repetition likely? At what point are
                leaders going to say, "Enuf!" >>

                Hey, they're going to go thru it regardless of whther or not there is a pack
                trainer. That's the POINT, since there are different objectives, learning
                abilities, social competencies, and program aims at each level. There should
                be no repetition, or minimal, since the NLE covers all the stuff that used to
                be repeated everywhere.

                YiS
                Auntie Beans
                Cape Cod & Island Council, MA
                Training Committee Chair
                NSJ 1997, 2001 Nat'l Health & Safety
                Abake Mi-Sa-Na-Ki Lodge #393
                I useta be an Eagle....NEI-188
              • Ida Lively
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 28, 2005
                  Has anyone created a syllabus (or similar) for a Pack Trainer specific training?

                  If you have access to such a critter, would you share it with the list?

                  Ida
                • Kevin Kennedy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 29, 2005
                    Ida,

                    Some time ago I found a Power Point Presentation on the Web
                    (where??). I can't tke nay credit for it.

                    I had wanted to use it within my district to try to get pack
                    trainers. Well, it did not happen as planned. I hope this helps.

                    Regards,
                    Kevin Kennedy
                    Narragansett Council
                    Netop District Leadership Development Chairman

                    --- In scouter_t@yahoogroups.com, Ida Lively <Ilively@a...> wrote:
                    > Has anyone created a syllabus (or similar) for a Pack Trainer
                    specific training?

                    > If you have access to such a critter, would you share it with the
                    list?

                    > Ida
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 3, 2005
                      Try going to the Central Florida Council training website at the
                      following link:
                      http://training.cfcbsa.org/training_resources.html
                      Under "Program Training Help" (second column) the first two items are
                      a "Pack Trainer Orientation" powerpoint and a "Pack Trainer" PDF
                      handout. These are resources developed for pack and district trainers
                      in our council some time ago. Hope they help.
                      Yours in Scouting,
                      ´┐╝Jim Ball
                      Council Training Chairman
                      Central Florida Council (Orlando)