Re: Wood Badge Question

  • Nina Wolfson
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 26, 2006
      Interesting to hear all these comments on WB tickets.

      I was a Troop Guide this past year. One of the differences that was noted
      for us was that all 5 tickets had to be related to the scouter's PRIMARY
      position. When I went through WB21, our tickets could be related to any of
      the positions that we held. It was difficult to get WB participants to
      figure out what their primary position was and would be over the next 18
      months, particularly with CS folks who change positions every couple of
      years (like DL to WL...) We even had a number of Tiger leaders participate.

      Regarding how challenging to make the tickets - some of the members of the
      patrol for which I was Troop Guide came up with very difficult and
      time-consuming items. I let the patrol know that I expected them to keep me
      appraised on their progress and come to me with any tickets that might have
      to be 'tweaked'. We finished the course in February, and no one has yet
      finished all their tickets. Some are close. One person hasn't finished
      any! None of the ticket items are what I consider to be a 'piece of cake'!

      I noticed when I went through as a participant, however, that many of the
      tickets were what I considered to be easy. One person catered lunch at TDC
      and counted that as a ticket (and that was her business!). Several other
      people got signed off on tickets for leading a session at the University of
      Scouting or TDC or similar. As a trainer, I liked having people raise their
      hands to help out with various training events, but as a fellow WB person, I
      did think those were 'easy tickets'. I was annoyed that while I was an
      active trainer at TDC, I wasn't getting any part of a ticket signed off for
      that.

      Nina Wolfson

      Tacachale District Training Chair

      Gulf Ridge Council