Re: [Scouter_T] Wood Badge Question

  • Rick Rambo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 24, 2006
      Sandy Owl,
      I am sorry that you have been so ill informed.
      In the First years of WB for the 21st century, it is true that they did not want 'old timers' to take the course, but since then, things have changed. Also for much of the time this course has been out, the source of staff has been those who attended SM or CS WB in the past, but alas, this (2006) is the last year that someone can staff a WB21 course unless they have either attended a WB 21 course or previously staffed a WB 21 course.
      However! Things have indeed changed this year (officially and standardized in the new manuals). Below is the section from the 2005-2006 Admin Guide dealing with Who May Attend a Wood Badge Course. It is on Page one if you need to refer anyone to the page.
      Who May Attend Wood Badge?

      To attend a Wood Badge course, Scouters must

      1. Be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America. (There are no minimum tenure requirements.)

      2. Have not previously attended a Wood Badge course, completed a Wood Badge ticket, and received Wood Badge beads.

      3. Have completed the basic training courses for their Scouting positions.

      4. Have completed the outdoor skills training programs appropriate for their Scouting positions.

      5. Be capable of functioning safely in an outdoor environment. Successful completion of the BSA class 3 physical is required for all participants.

      Note: Individuals who have attended Wood Badge in the past (either Cub Scout Trainers' Wood Badge or Boy Scout Leader Wood Badge) may attend Wood Badge for the 21st Century provided that: (1) They agree to write and work a Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket; and (2) they agree not to wear Wood Badge beads until they have satisfactorily completed their Wood Badge for the 21st Century ticket.

      Rick Rambo

      Course Director

      WE1-492-06

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 24, 2006
        Hi, Sandy,

        Changes have occurred that have not reached you yet. First, an "old"
        Wood Badger is authorized to take the 21st Century course as long as
        he/she agrees to 1) remove the beads and not wear then until the 2)
        the ticket for the new course has been completed.

        Additionally, as of the end of the year, to be a Staffer for a 21st
        Century Wood Badge course, the individual MUST have completed the new
        course. This requirement does not apply to the Quartermaster or
        cooks, but does apply to all staffers that have direct contact with
        participants.

        The Wood Badge ticket could be equated to an Eagle Project. The
        requirement should challenger the abilities of the individual. The
        grater involvement in the Scouting program, the more challenging the
        ticket. Or at least that is how I see the situation.

        Don Wilson
        Silver Fox
      • Nina Wolfson
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 26, 2006
          Interesting to hear all these comments on WB tickets.

          I was a Troop Guide this past year. One of the differences that was noted
          for us was that all 5 tickets had to be related to the scouter's PRIMARY
          position. When I went through WB21, our tickets could be related to any of
          the positions that we held. It was difficult to get WB participants to
          figure out what their primary position was and would be over the next 18
          months, particularly with CS folks who change positions every couple of
          years (like DL to WL...) We even had a number of Tiger leaders participate.

          Regarding how challenging to make the tickets - some of the members of the
          patrol for which I was Troop Guide came up with very difficult and
          time-consuming items. I let the patrol know that I expected them to keep me
          appraised on their progress and come to me with any tickets that might have
          to be 'tweaked'. We finished the course in February, and no one has yet
          finished all their tickets. Some are close. One person hasn't finished
          any! None of the ticket items are what I consider to be a 'piece of cake'!

          I noticed when I went through as a participant, however, that many of the
          tickets were what I considered to be easy. One person catered lunch at TDC
          and counted that as a ticket (and that was her business!). Several other
          people got signed off on tickets for leading a session at the University of
          Scouting or TDC or similar. As a trainer, I liked having people raise their
          hands to help out with various training events, but as a fellow WB person, I
          did think those were 'easy tickets'. I was annoyed that while I was an
          active trainer at TDC, I wasn't getting any part of a ticket signed off for
          that.

          Nina Wolfson

          Tacachale District Training Chair

          Gulf Ridge Council